Vintage/Historic Light Emitting Diodes

compucrap

Joined Dec 17, 2018
Don't know how you were planning to display the LEDs, but this is an example from HP:
View attachment 166173
Great now I've got another project to work on lol. Very cool display! I was leaning toward something like this;

Since I'm working with 3mm-ish diodes I can go much thinner. Plus I was to show off the changes in construction method over the years. I think I can squeeze in some electronics if I use an acyrilic $1 bill display case.

The HP display does bring up a question; can one spraypaint a PCB board black? I do love the style of it and those LED displays aren't as hard to find so maybe I'll whip up one. Everyone I've talked to enjoys those early LED display units.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
can one spraypaint a PCB board black?
Don't see why you couldn't. Just make sure to mask any electrical contacts.

The HP display was probably silk screened twice because it has white lettering under each display location indicating display part numbers. They used socket pins, so each display can be removed without soldering.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Great now I've got another project to work on lol. Very cool display! I was leaning toward something like this;

Since I'm working with 3mm-ish diodes I can go much thinner. Plus I was to show off the changes in construction method over the years. I think I can squeeze in some electronics if I use an acyrilic $1 bill display case.

The HP display does bring up a question; can one spraypaint a PCB board black? I do love the style of it and those LED displays aren't as hard to find so maybe I'll whip up one. Everyone I've talked to enjoys those early LED display units.
Don't know if you're making PCBs yourself or having them fabbed, but you can order them with black soldermask if that would help.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Not sure yet about the pcb. Are there any custom pcb shops that I could order a single board from?
Most of the inexpensive Chinese shops will charge the same for 1, 5, 10, only a tiny bit more for 20. I've never ordered less than 10. I'm not sure ALLPCB (where I've ordered in the past) even offers less than 10, but when the boards are only $1-2 a piece, including shipping, it doesn't matter too much.

compucrap

Joined Dec 17, 2018
Good to know. We'll see if I end up needing a custom PCD, but that HP display has me thinking about changing the design I originally had in mind.

At first I considered making PCB's in three styles to match the era; the earliest LED's being mounted on those older hand-drawn PCB board, the middle ones being on the style that used straight lines with the older colored boards, and the newest being a modern looking CAD designed one. But I couldn't find any unused vintage PCB blanks on ebay AND I realized I might be better off not getting too carried away (I want this to be a finished project someday and not an ungoing one - I have enough works-in-progress already :)

compucrap

Joined Dec 17, 2018
Just like Craigslist. :)
Yup! The bots are getting pretty advanced. I've noticed some of the capcha tests for sign up to websites are getting even more elaborate which probably means the bots are learning how to "click the photos with buses in them."

Anybody with old LED's they're willing to part with are welcome to drop me a line. I'm working on getting a good macro setup for my camera and I plan on sharing the photos and what I've learned about these LED's when I'm done. I'll probably start a new thread on here about them in a month or so.

compucrap

Joined Dec 17, 2018
I have the ability to PM now if anyone else comes across any older LED's they'd be willing to part with.

I've got a super macro setup on the way so I should be able to post some pictures soon. Plus, I've learned some good info from some of the folks who where in the business back then. There's a ton of interesting history behind these!