[VIDEO] Firearms Fundamentals

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
For those interested in firearms, no matter how knowledgeable, these two films are really great as introduction or clarification about the operating principles of small arms. Like many of these military produced training films, the concepts are presented in a lucid, cogent way that really pares things down to fundamentals. Well worth watching.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unintentional_discharge

Accidental discharge[edit]
An accidental discharge (AD) occurs when there is a mechanical failure of the firearm. This can include things like firearms that do not have mechanisms to render them drop safe falling a sufficient distance,[1] a firing pin stuck forward,[2] a sear failing,[3] or rounds heating sufficiently to spontaneously ignite in the chamber (as may happen in a closed bolt machine gun).[4]

Negligent discharge[edit]
A negligent discharge (ND) is a discharge of a firearm involving culpable carelessness. In judicial and military technical terms, a negligent discharge is a chargeable offence. A number of armed forces automatically consider any accidental discharge to be negligent discharge, under the assumption that a trained soldier has control of his firearm at all times. This is the case in the United States Army,[5] Canadian Army, the Royal Air Force, the British Army and various Police Forces within the United Kingdom.

From an article on a U.S. Air Force website:

A negligent discharge occurs when a weapon is fired due to either operator error or a lack of attention to basic safety rules.[6]
kv

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Like a moth is attracted to a flame so goes my attraction to small arms. I doubt it has ever been noticed but my avatar over all the years is something I created. I shot and cropped a headstamp of a Remington 416 Rem Mag and overlaid a partial transparent of a line of the same cartridges.

I enjoy the old films labeled War Department as it was prior to 1947. I really enjoyed the first two films as I have the rifles illustrated in them, a 03A3 Springfield and an M1 Garand I also saw a M1 Carbine make a brief appearance. I am also a big fan of the 1911 pistol. I collect Colt Series 70 MKIV Government models (The 1911 Design of John Moses Browning). My oldest Model 1911 dates back to 1914 and has a 5 digit serial number as well as marked Property US Government so that one pre dates WW I.

I also very much enjoy revolver shooting with a pile of S&W, Ruger and Colt revolvers. My love affair with the gun began in 1958 when I was 8 years old. My grandfather and uncle took me hunting upstate NY in the Catskill Region. My uncle's friend Charlie had land and a nice cabin. Upon arrival Charlie handed me a little 22 rifle so I could drag that rifle up and down the mountain everyday. No ammunition of course but I had a rifle to carry just like the adults. Then in the afternoons we went down by the pond and I would be given a box of 22 ammunition and was taught how to shoot. All good things must come to an end and as we left for the trip back to Brooklyn Charlie gave me that rifle. A used Remington Model 510P which today has a place in my safe.

Rimfires1.png

It's the one on the top. :)

During 1969 I joined the Marine Corps and trained and qualified with the US Rifle Caliber .30 M14 so for nostalgic purposes I had to have a M1A the civilian version (semi-automatic) of the M14. My wife gave me the below as a gift about maybe 25 to 30 years ago. The rifle is center with some extra stocks above and below.
M1A 1.png

When I got to Vietnam in 1972 we were using the M16A1 which I was issued. Like my M1A I had to have a civilian version of the early triangular handguard which was the Colt SP1.
AR Rifles 1.png

Left to Right the first two rifles are my Colt SP1 rifles followed by a Colt Target (round handguard) followed by a match heavy barrel Double Star and finally my early Armalite AR10 chambered in .308 Winchester (7.62 NATO).

Retired now many of my summer days are spent on the outdoor range and Monday is looking good as all too soon my outdoor range becomes a frozen tundra and at my age I hate the cold and bitter winters. On the bright side there is the indoor range so handguns come out. :)

Thanks for sharing the videos. Yes, as mentioned those training films were designed so even a new boot private who had never seen a gun could grasp what was going on.

Ron

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Also have the Remington 511 w/scope. Learned to shoot w/ Daisy pump action BB gun before I was in school. Spent many an afternoon on my grandmothers back porch plinking at cans and bottles (out in the country w/o trash pickup) with an old Stevens pull to cock single shot .22 even before 1st grade. Still have it. Grandmother Sadie would send me walking to the little store a quarter mile down the road to get her a pack of Camels and a box of .22 shorts and powdered Carnation Chocolate Milk for me. Every time she or my other grandparents across the road saw a squirrel in the yard, they sent me out to shoot it to protect their pecan trees. Gotta admit @ ~4-5 years old I missed more squirrels than I hit. Something my kids and grandkids never experienced. Got my kids nice Crossman BB guns but they never were all that interested in shooting. Sign of the times I guess.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Well worth watching. By who? I don’t have any lethal firearms in my house and never will. I’m sorry that some people are of a paranoid bent that requires their possession of these killing machines. I am out.
Look, if nothing here interest you feel free to move along. My father, a former WWII Marine was never a shooting enthusiast but prior to his retirement he became an avid golf player. So at 0500 in the morning he loaded his clubs, shoes and golf attire into his car and was gone for a day of golf. I load my truck with several rifles and shooting supplies and head to the range. So what? Both sports require a high standard of self discipline and constant practice to get and remain proficient. It's got nothing to do with paranoid or paranoia. Fact is people like you of narrow mindset simply can't grasp why some people choose and enjoy hobbies they have no understanding of. I am seldom if ever offended but if any discussion involving firearms offends you then I strongly suggest that you avoid the topic. "Killing Machines" Spare me that gibberish. Some people like myself shoot purely for competition as in on paper. You are out? Cool with me as I wouldn't want you in with your pre conceived attitude. Have a nice day and stay safe. :)

Ron

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Well worth watching. By who? I don’t have any lethal firearms in my house and never will. I’m sorry that some people are of a paranoid bent that requires their possession of these killing machines. I am out.
Hey there. I am a bit confused by your reply. The subject was pretty clear I think and mentioned "firearms fundamentals". You had to view the thread in order to see the post. I suppose it is well worth watching for someone who has an interest in firearms fundamentals.

Clearly this is not you but I am at a loss to work out why you viewed the thread in the first place and why you subsequently made a rather acerbic comment characterizing people who are interested in firearms as "of a paranoid bent".

You are free not to own firearms or be interested in them, surely, but why did you imagine people who are, would be interested in your opinion about firearms and firearms ownership in a thread that has nothing at all to do with that?

Please consider what you are doing next time you want to barge into a thread like this. It's very rude. I am certain you feel quite righteous in your excoriation of firearms owners but you really don't have a right to be rude and dismissive just because your opinion differs.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Hey there. I am a bit confused by your reply. The subject was pretty clear I think and mentioned "firearms fundamentals". You had to view the thread in order to see the post. I suppose it is well worth watching for someone who has an interest in firearms fundamentals.

Clearly this is not you but I am at a loss to work out why you viewed the thread in the first place and why you subsequently made a rather acerbic comment characterizing people who are interested in firearms as "of a paranoid bent".

You are free not to own firearms or be interested in them, surely, but why did you imagine people who are, would be interested in your opinion about firearms and firearms ownership in a thread that has nothing at all to do with that?

Please consider what you are doing next time you want to barge into a thread like this. It's very rude. I am certain you feel quite righteous in your excoriation of firearms owners but you really don't have a right to be rude and dismissive just because your opinion differs.
Why are you confused? Maybe it’s just me, I expected it. It has become demonized in the eye of the Public, we are a dying breed or so the thoughts to the many want it to be.

History repeats, over and over again. What is lost is self preservation, a belief that our needs are met, no need to protect yourself or hunt for food. Rather now to the public at large no need for a weapon (The Tool) which in times past was just a tool for survival, bring food to the table or defend your life and property from those who would take it. Hmn…..

I’ll ponder that, and shuffle the Deck. Dealing out the Cards of Death, under each is symbol of death or type of death. Lets begin.

In the news.

1. Viruses, Bacteria, Disease. The war, the struggle for life, the weapon a needle the tool for delivery, a sharp pokey thingy, small not as destructive right? Messy, a little blood covered by a bandaid, sufficient to deliver a dose.

Question? Why is this object any different? Because it’s not, but perception in the public at large have been soothed into believing it’s harmless, but it’s a pokey thingy right? and the delivery of for or against, can come in different loads.

Loads: Powder, Bullets, Arrows and Bows, Spears and Lances, Knifes of every kind form or fashion, just tools.

A needle, is a spear or pointing thingy, small hardly painful under the correct condition, numbing agents designed by nature, to stop the pain of the event about to occur is used to sedate the individual in question. The goal to stop the offender, a defensive strategy, the mission is to win or curb a battle, the battle is either a one off, or produce and effect to stop an oncoming force in many, a force in this instance of war against a biological organism, mankind has been plagued by Thousands of years.

In the hands of a skilled individual, which referring to Medical, but could find it’s way into the hands of a Mercenary, a killer, a death dealer, he can load it with any kind of chemical or other to deliver a load that cause the same thing. The power over life or death, which has since changed, it’s become a sport and a sport is competition, and competition is between ones self or others, is a game. Demonize Sport all together, now this includes all or nothing, all competition banned, Dancing, Running, Walking, Spelling B’s, Cards, Ahem, you get the point, pun intended.

Again, why are you so surprised at the Posters comments I’m not, not long ago, a Thread of the same nature, Guns at the heart of it, or a passion for this device, which evolved over time, capitulated by Societies in recent or distant past from weapons created by humans, in caves smashing rocks to make a better tool for survival.

kv

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
On a humorous note and with regard to the military training films making things so simplified. While I was in Vietnam I saw plenty of AK47 and SKS type rifles. Never paid them much attention. Then during the early 90s the Chi Com SKS rifles began to pour into the US on the surplus market. So out of nostalgia and because they were dirt cheap I bought one. So sitting here looking at it had to completely dissemble it to remove all the old grease and cosmoline. I remember thinking if a Chinese army private can break this thing down I should be able to figure it out. :)

Ron

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
On a humorous note and with regard to the military training films making things so simplified. While I was in Vietnam I saw plenty of AK47 and SKS type rifles. Never paid them much attention. Then during the early 90s the Chi Com SKS rifles began to pour into the US on the surplus market. So out of nostalgia and because they were dirt cheap I bought one. So sitting here looking at it had to completely dissemble it to remove all the old grease and cosmoline. I remember thinking if a Chinese army private can break this thing down I should be able to figure it out. :)

Ron
The SKS field strips pretty easily. No tools required but be very sure to get all the cosmoline out of the bolt carrier because it depends on a free floating firing pin and if it is jammed up with the cosmoline it will go full auto like an open bolt gun.

First time you fire it load just two rounds and check to make sure it doesn't fire them both! It's pretty easy to tell if the firing pin is free, it moves very easily it is not spring loaded.

The SKS will fire with gobs of dirt in the action, not cleaning it for extended periods, etc. It is the polar opposite of the AR platform in that regard.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The SKS field strips pretty easily. No tools required but be very sure to get all the cosmoline out of the bolt carrier because it depends on a free floating firing pin and if it is jammed up with the cosmoline it will go full auto like an open bolt gun.
Absolutely. I became very familiar with the SKS and other Chi Com block guns. Matter of fact the M14 and M1 Garand also used free floating firing pins. During the early 90s my wife and I had a small brick and mortar gun shop here in Ohio. Buying 20 or more SKS rifles we got them at about $60 each from an importer not far from us so I would pick them up saving shipping cost. I field stripped and cleaned them all but doing so brought in a better price. The gun shop served as a nice little business model to learn from. We both had our "real jobs". :) Anyway a very good point as to free floating firing pins.

Ron

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Absolutely. I became very familiar with the SKS and other Chi Com block guns. Matter of fact the M14 and M1 Garand also used free floating firing pins. During the early 90s my wife and I had a small brick and mortar gun shop here in Ohio. Buying 20 or more SKS rifles we got them at about $60 each from an importer not far from us so I would pick them up saving shipping cost. I field stripped and cleaned them all but doing so brought in a better price. The gun shop served as a nice little business model to learn from. We both had our "real jobs". :) Anyway a very good point as to free floating firing pins.

Ron
I misread your post and thought you'd just picked one up. Sorry for the redundant advice. Yes, I paid 60 bucks for one in the 90s and up until the "armor piercing" nonsense about the steel core ammo, it was dirt cheap. I could get 1760 rounds for 60 bucks! Made for some fun shooting.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Ah, for those good old days. :) I still have one I kept. I actually still have a bunch of the steel core bullet and steel cased stuff. I seldom shoot the lil SKS but it just lays in the safe. Hell, I haven't hunted in about a decade but still have hunting rifles. When I check out the kids and grandkids can sort things out. :)

Ron

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Ah, for those good old days. :) I still have one I kept. I actually still have a bunch of the steel core bullet and steel cased stuff. I seldom shoot the lil SKS but it just lays in the safe. Hell, I haven't hunted in about a decade but still have hunting rifles. When I check out the kids and grandkids can sort things out. :)

Ron
I saved back about 300 rounds of the steel core stuff. I used to shoot regularly, when I lived about 10 minutes from Camp Atterbury in Indiana where there was an open public range. Now I only have access to indoor ranges so I just shoot for practice with handguns.

I am hoping to have some property outside the city limits where I can set up a range.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I saved back about 300 rounds of the steel core stuff. I used to shoot regularly, when I lived about 10 minutes from Camp Atterbury in Indiana where there was an open public range. Now I only have access to indoor ranges so I just shoot for practice with handguns.

I am hoping to have some property outside the city limits where I can set up a range.
Fortunately I still have indoor and outdoor but my outdoor range is about maybe 60 to 90 min south of me. Indoor we have plenty of. Ohio has a few nice outdoor state ranges but I pay about $130 a year for a nice well groomed outdoor range. Tomorrow is looking good and considering it's October I can't complain. In a few months the outdoor will be a frozen tundra. :( I also hand load quite a bit and during the winter I try and stock up. Coming off COVID ammunition is still scarce so glad I roll my own. I also buy when I see a good sale including reloading components.

My dream was my own range but when a good friend in NC passed away my wife didn't want to move. My friend had a nice home and property but wife wants close to kids and grandkids. So here we sit. :)

Ron

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
For those interested in firearms, no matter how knowledgeable, these two films are really great as introduction or clarification about the operating principles of small arms. Like many of these military produced training films, the concepts are presented in a lucid, cogent way that really pares things down to fundamentals. Well worth watching.
And for those of you who do not live in the 1940's, you might find this how-to more applicable - especially on an electronics site.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
And for those of you who do not live in the 1940's, you might find this how-to more applicable - especially on an electronics site.
This post almost went unnoticed. You don’t need to live in the 1940‘s but, you can rewind further, to a time before fire arms. Those (tools) weapons, were replaced by pointy thingy’s.

Knifes, Spears, Swords. It happens to be another collectable I haven’t been able to afford because I have nowhere to display them. I collect Guitars, which have earned a name (Axe’s) I left that out for good reason.

I will begin to collect Swords, Knifes, Spears, Axe’s. I already have a collection of Heavy Metal in the form of Records vinyl lol

Anyone else have a passion for the above?

kv

Edit: I really enjoy History Channel “Forged in Fire”