VFD for the air blower

RobertWW

Joined May 23, 2020
Dear All,

I need to provide a source of the airflow to my experiments. The range of air velocities that I need is 2m/s to 20m/s. A source of airflow (I think it will be an air blower) will need to be powerful enough to overcome some significant resistances, given to the airflow by physical obstacles (therefore, fans may not be suitable for my experiments).

I think about purchase of this device
https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Blower-Extract...

This device has adjustment of the airflow velocity, but for some experiments, I will need pretty low velocities (beyond a regular spec of this or similar devices). Therefore, I am looking for ways of extra adjustment of such blower speed.

I came across the VFD (Variable Frequency Drive).
- I wonder whether control of the linked blower by VFD will work in order to get velocities as low as 2m/s.
- I also wonder whether application of VFD is the most optimum solution for reduction of air blower speed.

Any advice and help on this would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Regards.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Those particular devices usually have a Universal motor, and can be controlled by a simple Triac type controller, there are off the shelf power tool controllers that should do it.
Much cheaper than a VFD!
The only motors suitable for VFD use are 3phase AC.
Max.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
The blower has a built-in dial wheel for flow speed adjustment. It is probably used to set several preset speeds. This will use a built-in triac controller. It could interact in unpredictable ways if it is connected to an external controller unless you ensure that the built in adjustment is always set to maximum.
Regards,
Keith

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Dear All,

I need to provide a source of the airflow to my experiments. The range of air velocities that I need is 2m/s to 20m/s. A source of airflow (I think it will be an air blower) will need to be powerful enough to overcome some significant resistances, given to the airflow by physical obstacles (therefore, fans may not be suitable for my experiments).

I think about purchase of this device
https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Blower-Extract...

This device has adjustment of the airflow velocity, but for some experiments, I will need pretty low velocities (beyond a regular spec of this or similar devices). Therefore, I am looking for ways of extra adjustment of such blower speed.

I came across the VFD (Variable Frequency Drive).
- I wonder whether control of the linked blower by VFD will work in order to get velocities as low as 2m/s.
- I also wonder whether application of VFD is the most optimum solution for reduction of air blower speed.

Any advice and help on this would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Regards.
A bypass arrangement to provide a lower air flow velocity would be the very simplest method.
Unfortunately the large unknown thing is the VOLUME of air flowing at whatever velocity you require.
The blower shown may not be able to provide the volume of air required, since we have no information at all about that part of the requirement.