Vespa ET4 125 Failing Indicators

Paul Renowden

Joined Jul 18, 2008
2003 Piaggio Vespa ET4 125
Indicators work fine, but after riding for about 20 minutes they start to fail particularly when driving at reasonable speed. When coming to a halt they start to work again. Have changed switch and front cowling and checked all earth connections many times. There is no indicator relay on this model, so I am thinking it could be the regulator/rectifier.
Driving me crazy!
Can anyone help?
Cheers
Paul

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I think you're on the right track with the rectifier/regulator. I don't have any experience with Vespas.

Check to see what your load current is. You might be consuming too much current if you've installed more lights, or different lights (like high-brightness halogens) than were originally installed, and that could be overloading your charging system. I had that problem on a motorcycle I had many years ago.

Paul Renowden

Joined Jul 18, 2008
Thanks for your comments. There are no leads from the the rectifier, just a connector. Have not modified the scooter electrical system in any way.

KeithMac

Joined Jul 23, 2008
Presuming you don`t have any battery charging problems your best bet is to wire a 2 pin universal flasher relay between the live in wire to the indicator switch (insulate the cut end to the reg/rec) and the live feed wire to the brake light switch.

The flasher circuit in the reg/recs are prone to failure, I`ve had brnd new ones fail. I normally fit a 2 pin relay under the handlebar cowling and take the live feed from the rear brake light switch wiring, the relay should only cost £5.

KeithMac

Joined Jul 23, 2008
Fair do`s, last thing to check is you have a resistor sparkplug and plug cap fitted, un-serpressed plugs and caps can affect the operation of the flasher side for some reason.

darrenkarp

Joined Sep 8, 2008
I have the exact same problem and despite a full main service and regulator change the problem is still there (they did put my old regulator back!). It's going in again tomorrow morning for an alternator change but don't see how that could fix it.

Presuming you don`t have any battery charging problems your best bet is to wire a 2 pin universal flasher relay between the live in wire to the indicator switch (insulate the cut end to the reg/rec) and the live feed wire to the brake light switch.

The flasher circuit in the reg/recs are prone to failure, I`ve had brnd new ones fail. I normally fit a 2 pin relay under the handlebar cowling and take the live feed from the rear brake light switch wiring, the relay should only cost £5.
Would love some more info on this as I think this is the only thing I can do to fix my problem.