Verilog blocking vs non-blocking

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
Hello

Could someone elaborate on the following please?
What would be the difference in functionality in the following two codes?
(the only difference is the blocking vs non-blocking assignments)

Rich (BB code):
always @ (posedge clk) // counter
                begin
                if(switch == 1'b1) // switch is input
                    begin
                    led_d = 1'b1; // led_d is an led output
                    end

if(led_d == 1'b1)
                    begin
                    counter = counter + 1'b1;
                    end

if(counter > 26'd100000000)
                    begin
                    counter = 26'd0;
                    led_d = 1'b0;
                    end

end
Versus

Rich (BB code):
always @ (posedge clk) // counter
                begin
                if(switch == 1'b1) // switch is input
                    begin
                    led_d <= 1'b1; // led_d is an led output
                    end

if(led_d == 1'b1)
                    begin
                    counter <= counter + 1'b1;
                    end

if(counter > 26'd100000000)
                    begin
                    counter <= 26'd0;
                    led_d <= 1'b0;
                    end

end
Q1)In the first version won't there be a danger that when the counter does go over that big number (3rd if statement) and led_d will be assigned to 1'b0 and if the switch is simultaneously pressed and the led_d will be assigned to 1'b1 . What would happen then? That's a conflict of drivers.

Q2)Also if I used blocking assignments in those if statements then would execute sequentially right?

Q3)Does it make sense to put a blocking and non-blocking assignment in an if statement? Won't they be executed synchronously anyway? (if it's just one bl and one non-bl)

Last edited:

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
Perhaps I can put it another way...
Is it possible for me to synthesize a design in verilog (I'm using xilinx ise and Spartan 6)
and load it onto the FPGA that would destroy the chip? Or would the synthesizer always prevent such a mistake from happening? I'm not talking about performing intense calculations that would generate alot of heat , I'm talking about physical synthesis error.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I think the difference will be that one of those will begin counting right away when you toggle the switch, while the other will start a clock cycle later. But I may be wrong on this one, so best try simulating both and see what actually happens.

Second thing: No you cannot make the chip destroy itself by writing some code (using the tools they provide). That would be a really bad design flaw. The only two things that I can think of, apart from thermal issues, are dv/dt (risetime) problems and thus SCR latchup which is covered by the manufacturing technology etc, and connecting two outputs together.

If I remeber correctly there is a way to write code in verilog that connects two outputs together, but this still goes through a "strength" table which ultimately decides which of the outputs has priority, so in reality two simultaneous outputs will never happen.

Last issue that I can brainstorm is a possibility that the binary file in the flash memory could be corrrupted, then unless the chip has some crc check the chip could get damaged.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
There should be no difference in the behavior between the two codings. All the signals will be sampled before any are updated (if your synthesizer works correctly)
And, no you absolutely cannot destroy a chip by configuring with bad code.