VC++ 2008 Express headache

powzoom

Joined Jan 18, 2009
Not sure how many people here are familiar with this but any help would be great.

I create a Windows Form project and then immediately build it without any modifications and it gives me this error.

Compiling...
stdafx.cpp
e:\program files\microsoft visual studio 9.0\vc\atlmfc\include\cstringt.h(249) : error C3859: virtual memory range for PCH exceeded; please recompile with a command line option of '-Zm39' or greater
e:\program files\microsoft visual studio 9.0\vc\atlmfc\include\cstringt.h(249) : fatal error C1076: compiler limit : internal heap limit reached; use /Zm to specify a higher limit

I am using XP with service pack 3. I tried rebuilding and reinstalling the program but the same error persists. If I add -Zm40 or -Zm(anything) to the command line, I get another error:

Form.cpp
c1xx : fatal error C1023: 'Debug\Form.pch' : unexpected error with pch, try rebuilding the pch

Same thing happens when I open someone else's project that works on another system. Please help, this error makes this program useless.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the free download version. There may be no help for you unless you purchase the full professional version. Sneakly little fellows those boys in Redmond if that's the case.

powzoom

Joined Jan 18, 2009
I increased the virtual memory but it didn't solve anything... The funny thing is that it worked a few times when I first downloaded it. But then for some unknown crazy reason, it decided it didn't want to work anymore.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Is there a global setting for the PCH range which the compiler uses in the absence of explicit definition by the /Zm option? If so, is that something you have changed?

Dave

powzoom

Joined Jan 18, 2009
I think I found the problem. It's completely unrelated to visual studio. I have the iexplore virus on my computer that plays music in the background, blocks all google and tech related sites, and doesn't let me run or install virus utilities, sometimes blocks my keyboard from working, and gives a blue screen. My computer is super messed up right now and this virus from hell is also not detected by AVG or kapersky, and not many people offer a solution on how to fix it. Currently, I'm still researching it and trying different things to get rid of it. Worst virus ever.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Interesting that you think it is this virus - strange that a virus would interfere with VS in any way. Either way, iexplore.exe is the legitimate name for the main Internet Explorer executable, so be careful how you try to deal with it. I would scan the system in safe mode to start with.

If it roots itself in so deep it might be an idea to back-up your files and reinstall.

Dave