VAWT Under Construction. Light wind test.

Solarpassive

Joined May 4, 2018
motortrans.jpg motortrans.jpg
Generator, alternator, electrical magnetism creation device...
Still learning. Just scratching the surface, but its coming together.

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Looks cool as a piece of art. A little paint could make for a very interesting look.

Don't set your expectations too high, don't expect much power. You'll be able to light a couple LEDs or charge a small battery, that's about it.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The design of the blades (?), is it yours or comes from where?
One of many types that fall under that type. There are others that are much more efficient.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_axis_wind_turbine There are at least one in my area that use the Darrieus blades, the one the TS made is called a Savonius type. They are suited for use in more confined spaces like around buildings where the wind changes direction a lot. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savonius_wind_turbine

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Overall efficiency, how do you calculate it?
Me? I calculate it as the percentage of available wind energy that is converted to electricity. No windmill exceeds 70% (or something like that, I forget the exact value), because they don't completely stop the wind that blows over them. So I could accept calculating efficiency as the realized power compared to the theoretical maximum. This VAWT might exceed 50% if you do that. Maybe.

Solarpassive

Joined May 4, 2018
Would you please define "swept area". That formula may not be correct for this design. There is certainly a formula to calculate how many watts of wind pass by the turbine and how much of it is collected. It is a matter of energy conversion.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
IF I was to build one it would be horizontal not vertical. And mounted on the peak of the roof. That way it would get wind from any direction. In this area you have it coming from all directions. And the roof would also catch more wind to make it move. When there is snow I've watched how it seems to increase wind speed when going over the peak.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
IF I was to build one it would be horizontal not vertical. And mounted on the peak of the roof. That way it would get wind from any direction. In this area you have it coming from all directions. And the roof would also catch more wind to make it move. When there is snow I've watched how it seems to increase wind speed when going over the peak.
If I understand your idea right, wind from a certain direction could be coming parallel to the scoops surface. Otherwise it should have to spin mounted on a pole.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
If I understand your idea right, wind from a certain direction could be coming parallel to the scoops surface. Otherwise it should have to spin mounted on a pole.
It would have a bearing at each end, mounted to the roof ridge. When watching how the snow reacts with the wind and the roof, it seems to concentrate and flow over the ridge. This type of flow would be caught in the turbine. And it seems like, again just from the flow of snow, to work even when the wind is coming from a direction parallel to the roof.

The one bad thing about a VAWT is that their shaft is cantilevered, so the bearings have to be very oversized to take the load of the wind. And their mounting needs to be appropriate to the load of the wind. A lot of engineering goes into one of them. Much more than the more popular bladed type.

Solarpassive

Joined May 4, 2018
Considering winding my own coils. Those disks are each about 12-15 pounds.
The unit sits on a wheel bearing. It is not perfectly balanced, but "if you only knew".
lol
The little transmission/generator combo did not work.
Have no specs on the motor. Need a scope.
Unless anyone has a simple way to test the generator/motor and find out what is coming out of it.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Unless anyone has a simple way to test the generator/motor and find out what is coming out of it.
It is called a multimeter.

For better success, you need speed, high speed of the magnetic field passing in front of coils. That is why a way to do it is by gearing. Larger outer diameter works also, as attaching magnets at the bottom of your Savonius disc very close to a fixed large diameter set of coils base.

Explore ---->

Solarpassive

Joined May 4, 2018
Right. I have the multimeter. It does not answer the questions that I have. At very low rpm it seems that the unit produces AC with an output that the multimeter is not capable of reading accurately. At high rpm, the output of the motor varies, naturally and is a DC output.
Of course, this could be because of the magnetic field rising and falling at a slower rate than desired for the dc circut.
Also, I am aware of Faradays law, and the other "laws" or theories that dictate magnetic fields in relation to conductors and coils.
I realize that a coil or series of copper coils on any rotating part of my unit when brought past a magnetic field will create "electricity".
I am also aware that there is a formula that will give me the amounts of what material I would need to turn in said magnetic field to generate a specific amount of energy.
Also, I realize that - in example, I could line the underside rim of the lower disk with 1 inch neo magnets with either pole facing out and make several coils that the series of magnets constantly swing past.

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Or, if you can rescue from junk, a small engine as in a mower, everything is there to transplant
That is only available on small engines with battery start. It is the alternator to charge the battery. A pull start mower(push mower) won't have those coils, just an ignition coil.