Variac core integrity....cracks?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Presumably, it is a core to an inductor. Yes, cracks can affect performance (example a gapped vs. non-gapped toroid).
Have you plugged it in? How does it work? Does it give expected output? Does it overheat?

I wouldn't worry about cosmetic blemishes on a Variac. You should see some of mine rescued form the trash bin. However, none are cracked like that that I know of. I just use them.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Just for a test, with it unplugged!!!!
Can you poke a fine probe down the crack to see if you can figure out if it is the core or just a plastic of some sort covering the core?
If the crack goes a long way down, it may be the core, but if it is just a few mm deep, then it probably is a cover.
Also, when it is plugged in, does it draw lots of current? A crack in the core with a gap will lower the inductance a fair it so I would expect the current to increase.

You may be able to poke a couple of pins down the crack to see if you and measure a resistance between them of an iron core too.
But I think the primary current test will tell all.

KN4RUI

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Thank you for your help.....this just arrived from flea bay and this is initial inspection. Guess I will power it up and stand back!....should it work for me..might I consider an epoxy to the crack line...or jb weld...marinetex...etc?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Thank you for your help.....this just arrived from flea bay and this is initial inspection. Guess I will power it up and stand back!....should it work for me..might I consider an epoxy to the crack line...or jb weld...marinetex...etc?
If the unit works, just fill it with JB weld.
May stop the ingress of anything undesirable.
Max.