Variable Capacitor

crivoli

Joined May 4, 2006
Can someone please explain the leads of this variable capacitor and how to hook it up?
I have never used one and I want to make sure I get this correct.

Thanks
-crivoli

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Originally posted by crivoli@May 23 2006, 05:50 PM
Can someone please explain the leads of this variable capacitor and how to hook it up?
Thanks
-crivoli
[post=17305]Quoted post[/post]​
This one is two variable capacitors in one package, connected in series with the G as the common point. you have to decide how big the maximal capacity should be. It can be 60,120 or 220pF.

crivoli

Joined May 4, 2006
Originally posted by kubeek@May 23 2006, 11:26 AM
This one is two variable capacitors in one package, connected in series with the G as the common point. you have to decide how big the maximal capacity should be. It can be 60,120 or 220pF.
[post=17308]Quoted post[/post]​

Ok, thanks for the reply.

So to create a variable capacitor from 0 to 160pf where would I run the wires?

A wire from G to ground and a wire from O to the circuit?

I'm sorry but I am still confused.

Thanks

radiosmoke

Joined May 30, 2006
Originally posted by crivoli@May 23 2006, 08:50 AM
Thanks
-crivoli
-------------
Very simple:
this is a two section gang variable capacitor.
That means that as the capacitor shaft is turned the capacitance increases or decreases depending on rotation.

The leads are marked A for antenna and is 120 micro-farads
G for ground
O for Oscillator. and its 60 micro-farads

You need a ferrite loop antenna hooked up from A to G
You also have to know what the inductance value is to calculate the frequency.

If you need a smaller capacitance (and don't use or need the oscillator) (to receive shortwave bands) then hook between the O and G you will receive higher frequency

If you need a larger capacitance, (to receive the AM broadcast band) use the A and G

If you want to receive VLF bands you need to hook the O and A together on one wire of the antenna, and the G to the other wire of the antenna.

Hope this helps

The ferrite loop antenna is an inductor and together they work as a tuned circuit for a radio receiver.

radiosmoke

Joined May 30, 2006
Originally posted by crivoli@May 23 2006, 08:50 AM
Thanks
-crivoli
-------------
Very simple:
this is a two section gang variable capacitor.
That means that as the capacitor shaft is turned the capacitance increases or decreases depending on rotation.

The leads are marked A for antenna and is 120 micro-farads
G for ground
O for Oscillator. and its 60 micro-farads

You need a ferrite loop antenna hooked up from A to G
You also have to know what the inductance value is to calculate the frequency.

If you need a smaller capacitance (and don't use or need the oscillator) (to receive shortwave bands) then hook between the O and G you will receive higher frequency

If you need a larger capacitance, (to receive the AM broadcast band) use the A and G

If you want to receive VLF bands you need to hook the O and A together on one wire of the antenna, and the G to the other wire of the antenna.

Hope this helps

The ferrite loop antenna is an inductor and together they work as a tuned circuit for a radio receiver.
A

G