using windows 10 snipping tool

Sulvek

Joined Aug 27, 2022
Just discovered this and works great but I can't figure out how to scroll the page to select large columns. If that feature does not exist does anyone know a free software that will? Thanks!

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I use it quite often and NO, you cannot scroll with it. You can however resize the window to include all of the object/text you wish to snip. It along with MS Paint 3D are very useful tools for snipping and resizing snips.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
You can "Select" Text for miles,
then Paste it into a new RTF-Document for temporary storage.
Next, if You need any included Pictures, save them to a New-Folder on your Desktop.

Then use "Open-Office" (freeware) to create your own HTML or PDF or RTF or ODT or PNG File.

Depending upon just how much Text You want to Copy,
You may be able to Un-Zoom the Page until You can see everything You want,
but this may have pretty bad resolution.

Of course You could just Right-Click---> Save as, HTML-file.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Just discovered this and works great but I can't figure out how to scroll the page to select large columns. If that feature does not exist does anyone know a free software that will? Thanks!
While not free, you might consider CaptureWizPro from PixelMetrics. It costs $40.

I've used it for literally decades now and it is extremely robust and easy to use and has a ton of capabilities beyond simple screen capture.

The person that owns it is a member of the same group of tech nerds that I (and a few other AAC members) am and I can attest to the quality of the product.

Sulvek

Joined Aug 27, 2022
You can "Select" Text for miles,
then Paste it into a new RTF-Document for temporary storage.
Next, if You need any included Pictures, save them to a New-Folder on your Desktop.

Then use "Open-Office" (freeware) to create your own HTML or PDF or RTF or ODT or PNG File.

Depending upon just how much Text You want to Copy,
You may be able to Un-Zoom the Page until You can see everything You want,
but this may have pretty bad resolution.

Of course You could just Right-Click---> Save as, HTML-file.
I meant just simply selecting a part of the page regardless of text or picture and scrolling down.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
You can't copy what is not currently being being displayed, except for the odd exception of Text.
There is no Software that can do what You want.
That's why You have to "Right-Click" --> "save-As" HTML File.

You can edit most HTML Files with "Blue-Griffon" (freeware).

What File-Format are You wanting to save the Page in ?
How do You expect to be able to read it, or Edit it ?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I use the snipping tool and in the situation I perceive the TS is describing, I take multiple shots, scrolling down to where the first line displayed is immediately after the last line captured.

I save each shot into a jpg (or similar graphics file) and then use MS Paint to reassemble them into one file.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I meant just simply selecting a part of the page regardless of text or picture and scrolling down.
That is something that CaptureWizPro does very well. You can either manually scroll, or you can tell it to capture the contents of a window and it will automatically scroll as needed to get everything (although I had some difficulty using this feature when it was first added many years ago -- I would imagine that's been cleaned up long since).

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
That can be done in some websites but some web developers use some of the advanced screen rendering features of HTML5 that only load images or text when it is in the viewport. That means some images are not even loaded until the user scrolls to them. This increases page rendering speed when a lot of images are present. You can see this happen on many news websites - as you scroll, it seems more stories keep populating.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
The MS snipping tool freezes the display. The mouse then clicks the 2 opposite corners of the image window to place in the clipboard. But, it is only an image. You cannot use it to edit text as it IS an image, not text! Once the image is selected and placed in the clipboard, the screen is active again. It also has the option to grab the screen of the full webpage as well as to do a freeform snip for an irregular shape instead of a box. Mine has been assigned to my keyboards "Print Screen" key as it is otherwise useless.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
The MS snipping tool freezes the display. The mouse then clicks the 2 opposite corners of the image window to place in the clipboard. But, it is only an image. You cannot use it to edit text as it IS an image, not text! Once the image is selected and placed in the clipboard, the screen is active again. It also has the option to grab the screen of the full webpage as well as to do a freeform snip for an irregular shape instead of a box. Mine has been assigned to my keyboards "Print Screen" key as it is otherwise useless.
The print screen key should copy the whole display to clipboard. Using Alt-Print screen should copy only the active window (active application) to clipboard. You can then past to whichever location you want.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Which is why I never had a use for them until I found a 3rd screen clipper which was useful and which MS finally added to Windows. If I don't use it, then I guess I don't need it is my philosophy. I do find a use for the snipper.

Sulvek

Joined Aug 27, 2022
That is something that CaptureWizPro does very well. You can either manually scroll, or you can tell it to capture the contents of a window and it will automatically scroll as needed to get everything (although I had some difficulty using this feature when it was first added many years ago -- I would imagine that's been cleaned up long since).
Sorry can you explain the scrolling? I took your advice and started a free trail before buying. I want to get scrolling to work but it's not working for me.

Sulvek

Joined Aug 27, 2022
The print screen key should copy the whole display to clipboard. Using Alt-Print screen should copy only the active window (active application) to clipboard. You can then past to whichever location you want.
I need a scroll feature though as most info I need is further down the page.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Sorry can you explain the scrolling? I took your advice and started a free trail before buying. I want to get scrolling to work but it's not working for me.
I haven't installed CaptureWiz on my current machine yet -- the Windows Snipping tool is good enough for everything I've needed thus far since I got it -- and I'm not using the machine that it is installed on (a rather dated edition). As I said, I did have some issues when I tried that feature years ago.

Let me install it and get back to you.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi there,

I program Windows so i had little problem creating my own screen capture app. It has better features than the simple MS Snipping tool but not a huge number of features, just what i needed mostly like auto save so you dont have to keep saving if you want to capture a few pages or something.

One thing i didnt think of until you mentioned it was scroll capture. I dont know why i didnt think of this before now because my phone has that and it comes in handy when the page goes past the bottom of the screen on the phone. One time i could have used it too when i was capturing two pages of an article with images too. What i had to do was capture the two pages, then go into MS Paint and 'meld' them back together. It's not too hard to do when there are only two pages and you can zoom to get images pasted just right too. After that i created another program to 'sew' together images so that after i captured two or more pages i could use the program to put them together into one image. The drawback though is you may have to crop them first anyway.

I'll have to think about adding automatic scroll to my app i bet that would help a lot. Thanks for the idea.

Oh one more little note, Edge has a capture mechanism in it to capture different stuff but didnt try that yet. I'll try that and see how it works and if it helps ill let you know.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Ok tried the capture mechanism in Edge. It's interesting i'll say that much, but as usual MS screwed that up too. You can select and then scroll, and the selection rectangle stays at the top of where you started from and goes to the bottom of the window even if you select a large area that spans several posts here. The problem is, there seems to be no way to capture it, because when you hit "copy" it only copies the part that is visible not the entire selection rectangle area. They have two functions on the menu for this and they both do the same thing.

A workaround though is to use the capture menu (one of them) and when a choice comes up to capture area or whole page, select whole page and it copies the entire page. When i did this, it captured every post in this thread as an image and saved it in .jpeg format (same as .jpg but they used the full four letter extension instead for some reason). There may be other ways to, for example i think you can hit 'copy' and then paste it into MS Paint and then save with any extension you want.

Not sure if i will use it because it captures too much, although you can always crop it to just the parts you want. I think i'll still try to update my own program though see if it isnt too hard to implement.

Oh another thing that is nice to have along with the capture area function is to be able to zoom a certain part of the page and save that. I dont think Edge has that but there may still be a way to zoom.