Using transistors as toggle switch

Jomil

Joined Jan 9, 2013
Hey there,
I have just signed up to this and would like to get some input for a project I am working on.

I am trying to using a remote push button switch with a relay on circuit board. But the problem is when you press button on remote the relay operates, but when you release button relay shuts off. I need a simple circuit that will operate like a toggle switch:
Press botton fisrt time on - circuit turns on.
Press botton second time on - circuit turns off.

I have been searching on line and have tried several ideas from schematics.
I have in possession many 2N3904 and 2N3906 transistors. I would like to use them if possible. I have tried using schematic from hack of the week, but this doesn't work. I know it is a simple circuit I can use but I am having problems. Please let me know if anyone can help. I would appreciate it.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
that would require continuous transmission.
there are many toggle circuits. basically you need to build a T flip flop and trigger it with your circuit.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I was thinking "remote" as in "located somewhere else", but wired, and not "wireless remote".

A big issue that is going to have to be dealt with is bounce. When you press the button on the remote, what ensures that the receiver sees that as exactly one press of the button (or, perhaps, misses it altogether forcing you to press it again, provided the physical layout is stuch that it will be obvious to the user that they need to press it again).

OP: Can you provide some more details on what kind of communication (type of remote, etc) you are using?

Jomil

Joined Jan 9, 2013
Hey there,
I have just signed up to this and would like to get some input for a project I am working on.

I am trying to using a remote push button switch with a relay on circuit board. But the problem is when you press button on remote the relay operates, but when you release button relay shuts off. I need a simple circuit that will operate like a toggle switch:
Press botton fisrt time on - circuit turns on.
Press botton second time on - circuit turns off.

I have been searching on line and have tried several ideas from schematics.
I have in possession many 2N3904 and 2N3906 transistors. I would like to use them if possible. I have tried using schematic from hack of the week, but this doesn't work. I know it is a simple circuit I can use but I am having problems. Please let me know if anyone can help. I would appreciate it.
What I am using is a remote control push botton, and reciever has a relay that works good on 12 VDC (this is basically my push button). On other side of relay I need a circuit that will accuate other relay that would basic example "turn light on and off". We are using these with a solar system of approx. 9 to 12 VDC system.

Jomil

Joined Jan 9, 2013
Attached is the circuit I was trying to use for my project. Here are the parts I am trying to use.
1) Remote controlled push button - this would allow to remotely turn circuit on and off. On receiver end of remote, I have a relay that closes when I press the botton on the remote and opens when I release the button.
2) Need circuit to to turn on when button on remote is pressed and released (switch on circuit), and shut off when button on remote is pressed and released again (switch off circuit).
3) I also have other 12vdc relay that operates (closes) at 7.6 vdc and open at 2.6vdc (opens) that I would like to use in circuit that I can place higher voltage accross contacts to operate lights.

Basically I am looking for a circuit that will act like a electronic light switch, that is stable. The drawing attached I have tried but it seems to fail. Please let me know if there is a solution. Thanks..

Attachments