Using DC Motors in Multisim

ControlTeacher

Joined Feb 20, 2021
I am trying to develop a Multisim simulation to demonstrate the effects of varying load torque, friction and inertia on a DC motor. Despite numerous attempts, I cannot seem to figure out how to do this. I would like the simulation to demonstrate the rise/fall time of the motor speed in response to variations in load characteristics, and also to plot motor speed vs. applied voltage and varying load torque. I would then like to use the motor in closed-loop simulations for speed control and position control. Any tidbits of advice will be greatly appreciated!

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017

Attachments

Last edited:

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
The LabVIEW Electric Motor Simulation Toolkit is a software add-on for LabVIEW and VeriStand. It features a LabVIEW project template for electric simulation, control, and hardware-in-the-loop (HIL), as well as VeriStand software add-ons for the various motor types. The toolkit helps you execute models on a host computer for desktop simulation, LabVIEW Real-Time simulation, and FPGA-based simulation. The Electric Motor Simulation Toolkit contains switched reluctance motor, AC induction motor, and permanent magnet synchronous machine models in a linear approximation or in higher-fidelity models.
At a factory that needs a revision the ability to quickly make adjustments reduces the errors before parts are ordered.
I think the expectation and cost are one concideration.

Comsol is expensive but some motor researchers have benefitted. A new design could mean a controller needs to be modified to get the effect.
unfortunately the high end simulation are expensive however just watching the magnetic flux in 3D can be useful.

Last edited: