Using a PIC to read and write RFID-RC522

jwells02

Joined Jul 27, 2017
Are there any resources to show the circuitry to connect the RFID-RC522 to a PICs serial IO pins and how the pins on the RFID card used? I can find a datasheet on the chip but nothing usable on the card itself.

simozz

Joined Jul 23, 2017
Hello,

You only need the datasheet of the PIC you will use and the datasheet of the RFID-RC522.
The communication protocol is the SPI so check the proper section on PIC datasheet.

Here you have a RFID-RC522 tutorial (just found now), based on arduino. Perhaps it's useful for RFID-RC522 pinout.

simozz

jwells02

Joined Jul 27, 2017
Hello,

You only need the datasheet of the PIC you will use and the datasheet of the RFID-RC522.
The communication protocol is the SPI so check the proper section on PIC datasheet.

Here you have a RFID-RC522 tutorial (just found now), based on arduino. Perhaps it's useful for RFID-RC522 pinout.

simozz
I've seen the data sheets as it relates to the arduino but since I'm not using that I wanted to see the protocol for the rc522 itself. Like the commands it requires for writing to a tag. When to use the reset and other pins. Clocking pin, etc. can't seem to find any of that.

simozz

Joined Jul 23, 2017
Hello,

jwells02 said:
I wanted to see the protocol for the rc522 itself. Like the commands it requires for writing to a tag. When to use the reset and other pins. Clocking pin, etc. can't seem to find any of that.
This is the MFRC522 datasheet that you need. Note that following the links from the PDF linked in #2 you could reach it.

simozz

Last edited: