Using a COM port control lines to execute a shutdown routine

Llamarama

Joined Feb 1, 2010
Hello everyone, I have built a simple mini itx computer over the past few days that runs off a 12V SLA battery. I have devised a simple circuit that monitors the battery's output level via a comparator. The logic goes low when the battery voltage reaches 11.5V, from a fully charged voltage of roughly 13V.

I was wondering if it was possible to use the COM port's control lines and a level converter of some kind (Probably a signal transistor) to automatically shut down the computer safely rather than just let it brown out.

If this is possible, can anyone give me any pointers as this will be my first project to use any code. I'm more of a hardware kind of guy. :)

Thanks for any help :)

EDIT - What would be the best language to use? would some kind of Javascript, Python script or a good old fashioned Batch script be best?

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
You could probably use the cable and software from an APC SmartUPS, most people don't connect the auto shutdown feature.

Then it would just be a matter of finding what signals are on the phone jack side to initiate shutdown via the APC power software on the machine. Windows supports power down via UPS through serial port as well, though I don't know what the protocol is.

Some searching should lead you to the answer to that one.

Llamarama

Joined Feb 1, 2010
Thanks Thatoneguy, I heard that some UPS's use limple switching to indicate what state they're in, but now that I have a name to wo with it's made it much easier! Many thanks! :)

Llamarama

Joined Feb 1, 2010
Thank's for that Fborges! That's certainly made things easier. I'm working on this with my Computer Science professor at Uni so now that we know the protocol we should probably be able to work something out! :)