using a 12v 5ah battery as power backup for dvr.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I did not see any problem at all with the idea of a battery backup. My only concern was the possibility of shortening the battery life through overcharging.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Something you can try is one of these units. I have not used any of the units like this from China but they are inexpensive. I have used similar US manufactured units in support of cipher door entry systems so when mains power was lost a battery was online. The transfer of 12 VDC power was instant. The units I have used automatically charged and maintained a float charge on the 12 volt SLA batteries. The device I linked to has two inputs of 12 VDC, the normal power supply and the 12 VDC battery backup. There is a single output to whatever you want to remain powered. Here is another example but the Altronix versions are designed for an AC input ALTRONIX Single-Output Power Supply Board (6/12/24VDC @ 2.5A) designed for use with an external 12 VAC source and as can be seen the cost increases. Personally if this is not for some critical application I would try the linked Chinese version from Amazon for about $11 USD. I have used the Altronix stuff and it is really good reliable stuff and acts as a great battery maintainer (float charge). Depends on what your project budget is. :)

Ron

Parmjit_sparky_singh

Joined Feb 29, 2020
Something you can try is one of these units. I have not used any of the units like this from China but they are inexpensive. I have used similar US manufactured units in support of cipher door entry systems so when mains power was lost a battery was online. The transfer of 12 VDC power was instant. The units I have used automatically charged and maintained a float charge on the 12 volt SLA batteries. The device I linked to has two inputs of 12 VDC, the normal power supply and the 12 VDC battery backup. There is a single output to whatever you want to remain powered. Here is another example but the Altronix versions are designed for an AC input ALTRONIX Single-Output Power Supply Board (6/12/24VDC @ 2.5A) designed for use with an external 12 VAC source and as can be seen the cost increases. Personally if this is not for some critical application I would try the linked Chinese version from Amazon for about $11 USD. I have used the Altronix stuff and it is really good reliable stuff and acts as a great battery maintainer (float charge). Depends on what your project budget is. :)

Ron
Wow that looks promising I think I'll give it a go thank you