using 555 and 4017 to cycle 7 LED's

Tony Spence

Joined Dec 20, 2013
I drew the circuit, it is more easily to discuss if anything wrong, and the table is on the right top corner.

View attachment 108198
From your diagram pin 3 stays on until pin 5 lights up the pin 3 turns off and when it turns on the sequence starts again. I do not want pin 3 to stay on as the others flash i want each one to turn on and then off one after another

Last edited:

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
From your diagram pin 3 stays on until pin 5 lights up the pin 3 turns off and when it turns on the sequence starts again. I do not want pin 3 to stay on as the others flash i want each one to turn on and then off one after another
The pin 3,2,4,7,10,1 are lights up and turn off one by one as flashing, no anyone is stay on, only led1 stay on until pin 6 going to high,

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
TS,while circuit is operating, check voltage at pin 3, LED 1; does it stay low when other LED's are
cycling on ? No- one bad stage on 4017. If bad, you can move #1 LED up to pin 6, reset from pin 9.

Tony Spence

Joined Dec 20, 2013
Your two described there were little different.
I will provide an idea and you check it if anything needs to modify.

The numbers from 7...1, about this you can reverse the sequence of leds and labeling as 1→7, 2→6, 3→5, 4→4, 5→3, 6→2, 7→1, and if you want any led to keep at lighting then you can using 7 1N4148 connecting to a resistor and connecting to the base of npn bjt, e connecting to gnd, c connecting to a current limits resistor and to the negative of led, the positive of led connecting to 9V.

The LED i used must of been a different type as i have bought all new components and then LED's and now the lights are running smoothly. Now i want to substitute the LED's for an FET and copper coil how would i connect this please

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
You could choose some n mosfet Vgs=4.5V, the Vds≥24V, and Rds(on) ≤20mΩ, Id >= I_coil*3, if you want then you can take R1 away, it still can work fine, how many coil you need to drive then you will need how many circuit as below.

NchMosfetDriveCircuitForCD4017_ScottWang.gif

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
What level of current will the coil draw? That will determine what MOSFET options are available. As @ScottWang suggests, the MOSFET should be rated to at least 3 times whatever the coil current is. Getting a higher rating usually adds very little cost as long as the current is not huge.

If the current is small enough, there is such a thing as a MOSFET array with several MOSFETs in a single package.

Tony Spence

Joined Dec 20, 2013
You could choose some n mosfet Vgs=4.5V, the Vds≥24V, and Rds(on) ≤20mΩ, Id >= I_coil*3, if you want then you can take R1 away, it still can work fine, how many coil you need to drive then you will need how many circuit as below.

View attachment 112673

This is what I have so far as a circuit diagram:
555&4017 first dia edit.jpg

Would your addition to my circuit work if it was applied to each output of the 4017 after the 2N7000 diode?

Last edited: