Used wrong type of Solder

geoslayer88

Joined Aug 16, 2019
Hello Everyone,

So i have this PCB that I'm in charge of soldering the components to. Halfway through i realized that i was using the wrong solder. I was supposed to be using High Temp solder instead of regular solder. What is the best solution? Should i go back and try to get the solder off ? Thanks for reading!

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
All depends on what the board is all about. Just for example if the board is tied to any contract specifications which were called out then yes, the board will require rework. In some cases any deviation from a specification, even a rework, would require customer approval. So it all depends on where the board is going and its application in some instances the board would be rendered as scrap. Since I have no clue who the customer is or any contract obligations I can't say anymore than I have said.

Ron

geoslayer88

Joined Aug 16, 2019
Thank you so much Ron,

Its a school project, sorry i forgot to mention that. I guess i'm worried that if i go over and rework, that maybe some left over solder might affect the high temp solder. We will be going very high in temperature.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Thank you so much Ron,

Its a school project, sorry i forgot to mention that. I guess i'm worried that if i go over and rework, that maybe some left over solder might affect the high temp solder. We will be going very high in temperature.
I wouldn't worry about it in that case. Think of it as a lesson learned which as I recall school projects are all about. Just remember when school is a matter of looking back that real world projects call out a bill of materials (BOM) for reasons. :)

Ron

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If you remove most of the regular solder and then use the high temperature stuff, which may be the lead-free solder, there would be some mixing, but unless it is a strength concern it should not matter.