Use TLP250 for high side mosfet driving

MSemz

Joined Jan 19, 2021
Can I use TLP250 for high side mosfet driving with bootstrap circuit ? Or will I face issues as it's designed to be low side only ?

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I don't see why not, but bear in mind that it has a current consumption of 11mA continuous, which will have to be provided by the charge pump in addition to the gate charge.
If the application is a switched-mode of some type, as an alternative to the charge pump, have you considered giving it its own power supply by using an extra winding on the transformer? It might actually need fewer components.

MSemz

Joined Jan 19, 2021
I don't see why not, but bear in mind that it has a current consumption of 11mA continuous, which will have to be provided by the charge pump in addition to the gate charge.
If the application is a switched-mode of some type, as an alternative to the charge pump, have you considered giving it its own power supply by using an extra winding on the transformer? It might actually need fewer components.
OK, I was planning to use 100uf capacitor with 1N5817 diode. What do you think ? is it enough ? The mosfet is IRF1407 with 25:50 KHz switching frequency.
I thought about the transformer to have extra winding but I already have it that's why I went to use bootstrap circuit.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
What's your supply voltage? The 1N5817 is only rated at 20V.
If it's not a half-bridge, then you need to make sure that the charge pump will start up.
This may be an occasion where a SPICE simulation would be very useful!

MSemz

Joined Jan 19, 2021
It's 12V only so I guess diode is ok. I used LTspice but I can't find TLP250 on it and on toshiba website also.