USB to RS232 converters

xxxyyyba

Joined Aug 7, 2012
Hello.
I bought notebook few days ago and of course it doesn't have serial port :)
I'm interested in satellite technology and most satellite receivers use serial port for communication with computer. That's why I need serial port.
Since my notebook doesn't have it, only solution is to use USB to RS232 converter. Can it completely "mimic" serial port which can be found on older PC motherboards? Are there some limitations?
Best regards

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I tried many 4 years ago. For simple serial comm most worked interchangeably. For hardware handshaking (CTS and RTS lines, etc.) most low cost adapters didn't work well, or at all.

ak

xxxyyyba

Joined Aug 7, 2012
For communication with receiver, I use null modem cable, which uses pins 2, 3 and 5. Scheme: 2-3, 3-2, 5-5. So USB to RS232 should have TXD, RXD and Signal Ground lines. My idea is to connect USB to RS232 to notebook (USB connector), RS232 connector to one side of null modem, and second side of nullmodem to satellite receiver. Can it work on this way?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Yes if the protocol uses software handshake, XON/XOFF, or none, then you should be OK.
There are few applications now that use H.W. handshake.
For handshake jumpered on the 9 pin side is 7-8 & 1-4-6.
Max.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Hello.
I bought notebook few days ago and of course it doesn't have serial port :)
I'm interested in satellite technology and most satellite receivers use serial port for communication with computer. That's why I need serial port.
Since my notebook doesn't have it, only solution is to use USB to RS232 converter. Can it completely "mimic" serial port which can be found on older PC motherboards? Are there some limitations?
Best regards
Yes it can... but you MUST make sure that what you have is a converter using an FTDI chipset, and NOT Prolific.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I sold off all my satellite equipment with the advent of Nagra3, now I see it has been cracked?
Anyway I have an Android unit internet source now via Kodi etc.
Max.

Techno Tronix

Joined Jan 10, 2015
The USB_RS232 cables are a family of USB to RS232 levels serial UART converter cables incorporating FTDI’s FT232RQ USB to serial UART interface IC device which handles all the USB signalling and protocols. Check with this.