USB to RJ45 Converter

Abazeed

Joined Oct 22, 2014
Hi all : )

I want to make a converter that convert USB 2.0 to RJ45

can any one tell me what circuit design I need to follow ? and is it competable with windows 7/8/8.1 ?

thanks in advance

;)

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
USB has 4 pins, 2 Power pins and 2 Data pins. RJ45 has 8 pins, usually 4 twisted pairs. You don't need any circuitry, just connect the pins the way you want. Now you have USB on RJ45 for what purpose?

I hope you were not asking for a USB to Ethernet conversion, that would be a much taller order.

Abazeed

Joined Oct 22, 2014
USB has 4 pins, 2 Power pins and 2 Data pins. RJ45 has 8 pins, usually 4 twisted pairs. You don't need any circuitry, just connect the pins the way you want. Now you have USB on RJ45 for what purpose?

I hope you were not asking for a USB to Ethernet conversion, that would be a much taller order.
Thanks Papabravo

I tried your method, but it move no data, just power

I need it to connect the internet dongle to laptop using cat5e

some thing do like this one:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
What do you mean you tried my method? You didn't tell me what you were trying to do. I have no idea what the devices in the picture are capable of doing or why you would use one of them. You can't connect an Ethernet cable (RJ45) to a USB port with nothing inside except wire and expect internet connectivity. Is your purpose to create an Ethernet to USB converter? If so, that is a considerable design challenge. I'd be willing to bet a small fortune that you can't design and build one cheaper than you can buy one if that is in fact what they are.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
So a question for OP. Do you want to extend the distance from a USB device to a laptop using CAT-5 cable?

If so you may or may not be able to make it work. The reason that the USB specification restricts cable length is for signal integrity, and to put a maximum upper bound on signal timing which is part of the protocol. For the power pair, the IR drop on a long cable may render the peripheral device with insufficient voltage to power up. That doesn't even account for the common mode ground difference.

All in all this is a stunningly bad idea on so many levels.

Abazeed

Joined Oct 22, 2014
thanks all, it doesn't about price and coast, I want to build on do the same function as the one at the picture and the one that JoeJester linked,

I know it's not that easy, but I need the perfect circuit design, I designed some but non of them was recognized to windows

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I actually doubt that it is possible to do this. USB 2.0 needs to work at 480 Mbps. That is pretty tough to do over 50 meters of cable even on a cool dry day in Northern Virginia.

If you are a clever fellow and succeed in doing this then you can come back and prove me wrong. So have at it.