USB PC application

Vicktor

Joined Nov 20, 2007
Hi there,

I really hope I'm not reviving an old topic, but I need some help and advice. I want to design USB applications with Visual C++ (MFC, Win32) and I can't find any useful or meaningful information regarding that matter, or what I happen to find is always articles, for designing such an application, but in a different language. What I need, is some articles for beginners, showing how to make a simple, working application, some driver programming and all done in C++ (C# is also an alternative). I bought the book "USB Complete" third edition, which explains ALOT about USB, and in fact has some VC++ code snippets, but not complete working applications, and it's really difficult for me to understand them. The applications are supposed to establish simple communications (at least for now) with a PIC18F4550 MCU. Any help, would be greatly appreciated!
~Vicktor

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
USB is a hardware and software specification for transferring data. What would the application be? Probably my lack of imagination, but I can't get my head around a "USB application".

Vicktor

Joined Nov 20, 2007
By USB application, I mean a computer program, with GUI(graphical user interface), that is capable to communicate with a USB device(HID) and send commands to it, as well as reading data. That's how it's mapped in my imagination :p A simple dialog box with controls, which sends commands to the MCU via the USB, to turn LEDs on/off for example.
To make it more clear, I refer to, as most of the people say, "the PC side" of the USB.
~Vicktor

wes

Joined Aug 24, 2007
lol, that's something I have been trying to do for awhile ( i wasnt able to ever find anything on how), I was going to use a pc for a project i have but since i didnt know how, I instead had to use a basic stamp, lol,

Vicktor

Joined Nov 20, 2007
A complete HID-class USB application (VB, C++, and C#) and PIC18F4550 code to go with it are here:

http://www.lvr.com/hidpage.htm

These examples are the base for the code and discussions in USB Complete.

Jan Axelson
www.Lvr.com
Excellent! Thats exactly what I was looking for! But what about drivers? Any good references about USB driver development for, say x86 Windows Vista?
~Vicktor

jaxelson

Joined Feb 6, 2008
For driver development, start with the Windows Driver Kit (WDK) from Microsoft. Also see MS's WinUSB generic driver introduced with Vista and also usable under XP. In general, I would recommend not developing a host driver unless other options (OS-provided driver, 3rd-party driver) aren't feasible.

Jan Axelson
www.Lvr.com