USB Mini Connectors

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I want to find a small connector for linking a PICKIT3 to a circuit board. This needs five pins. My eyes lighted on the USB mini sockets which have five pins. The problem there is that I can't find any matching free plugs except already fitted to a cable. Now that would be OK as I could cut the cable to make a connection to the PICKIT3 but I understand that the fifth pin is not wired in the cables.

Is the fifth pin wired?
If not, does anyone know where I can get free plugs which could have five wires attached?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I want to find a small connector for linking a PICKIT3 to a circuit board. This needs five pins. My eyes lighted on the USB mini sockets which have five pins. The problem there is that I can't find any matching free plugs except already fitted to a cable. Now that would be OK as I could cut the cable to make a connection to the PICKIT3 but I understand that the fifth pin is not wired in the cables.

Is the fifth pin wired?
If not, does anyone know where I can get free plugs which could have five wires attached?
Hi,

I was able to make my own OTG connector by cutting into a regular connector with a Dremel tool and making the appropriate connection probably as naspook had shown but it was so long ago i dont remember what i had to do, but in any case i worked well and i had a home made OTG adapter with just the connectors no cable, which is what i was after.
I might be able to find some pics i probably took some.

Not sure what i did with the pics but here is one of the finished unit. It's epoxied over though.
This started out as a USB A female to Micro male, but was converted to USB A female to Micro male OTG by grinding into the connector body and making the appropriate mods.

Attachments

Last edited:

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
During the night I had a thought (!). A usb cable has four conductors and a shield. So there are five conductors between each end. Reading this thread the shield is not connected to the GND connection in the cable so there are the five connections needed for the PICKIT. Without stressing my fine soldering technique.

Does anyone see a problem with this?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I don't see a problem with using a USB connector itself. I have thought of using one myself because of the mechanical durability (5000 to 10000 cycles). Be sure to keep the cable short.

I do not know what "too long" is. The only time I had problems with cable length was years ago with a PicStart Plus II. In that instance, it was a little more than a foot of ribbon connected to the ZIF socket. My current set up with an ICD3, RJ connector and ribbon cable is about 15" to 16" total.

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
Some USB mini connectors are priority built. Such as Sony Play Station and the connectors are not sold to the public.
Brzrkr

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
During the night I had a thought (!). A usb cable has four conductors and a shield. So there are five conductors between each end. Reading this thread the shield is not connected to the GND connection in the cable so there are the five connections needed for the PICKIT. Without stressing my fine soldering technique.

Does anyone see a problem with this?
If you don't mind extra noise on the signal it will work as a conductor. The shields job is to collect internal and external environmental EMI/RFI, it won't stop doing that to some extent when used as a live conductor.

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
I'd prefer to use a connector that isn't already commonly used for a specific function, for obvious reasons. Catalogs are full of weird connectors that are rarely seen in the wild, but there are also some formerly common connector standards that can safely be re-purposed. DB9 connectors are just about obsolete for computer stuff, and can be polarized by plugging one or more pins to be doubly safe. Circular mini-DIN connectors used for S-video are another, and maybe the PS/2 keyboard/mouse connectors.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I think the TS is interested in serial programming MCU's. Hardly the general public who might plug a 110V toaster into a 220V socket -- if they could.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I have news: it works but only with some cables. Not all cables connect the shield at both ends and it won't work with those.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
In my case, I was faced with a 4.6 mm maximum height and went with a JST 2-mm RA pinheader instead of a micro USB. A micro USB connector is used for charging. If height is not an issue, I suggest a 2-mm pitch 3x2 row shrouded (or unshrouded ) connector.

Last edited:

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009

Is the fifth pin wired?
Which connector are you referring to?:

1586098417620.png

If you're talking about PCB mount for USB-MINI-A/B or USB-MICRO-A/B, you can get that at digikey or mouser, or elsewhere.

$0.99 at digikey in qty of 1 (digikey part # on left; mfg part # on right):

1586098968035.png

Last edited:

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
See post #5. That idea allows me to use a standard cable providing it has the shield connected at both ends.
USB-MINI. You can put the connector (5-pin) on your PCB and then use a standard USB cable to connect to your PCB either for signaling or power, or both.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
USB-MINI. You can put the connector (5-pin) on your PCB and then use a standard USB cable to connect to your PCB either for signaling or power, or both.
I used the standard 4 USB pins and the outer shield as the fifth connection. So I can use a standard cable provided it connects the shield at both ends.