USB-C 2S Li-ion Charger IC?

320pilot

Joined Oct 18, 2021
Hello everyone,

i am planning to build a mobile device which should be charged via USB-C. I want to use two Li-ion cells in series (8.4V).

When I started to look for an IC, I found loads of different products (by Analog, TI, ...), so I wanted to ask if you could give me some recommendations.
The IC should use the 5V USB-C, boost the voltage up to 8.4 volts, and then charge up the cells. The charging current should be able to be set via a resistor, as the ic should be capable of being standalone, without the need of a digital interface.

In addition, it would be ideal if the IC could be soldered by hand.

Thank you for your patience, as this is my first electronics project... ;)

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Before you try to design the charger, you must learn about the characteristics of the cells and the requirements for charging them safely. The charger will need to include a voltage booster, a current limiter, a voltage limit cut-off and a way to ensure that the cell charges are balanced. It is also a good safety feature to include a temperature sensing and cut-off circuit.
This is not a good first electronic project for a novice. It would be much cheaper and safer to buy an assembled charger module and add the housing and interface connectors yourself.

320pilot

Joined Oct 18, 2021
Before you try to design the charger, you must learn about the characteristics of the cells and the requirements for charging them safely. The charger will need to include a voltage booster, a current limiter, a voltage limit cut-off and a way to ensure that the cell charges are balanced. It is also a good safety feature to include a temperature sensing and cut-off circuit.
This is not a good first electronic project for a novice. It would be much cheaper and safer to buy an assembled charger module and add the housing and interface connectors yourself.
Okay thank you, I am planning to use an extra BMS for a good protection... Well, I'm afraid that I can't use assembled modules, as this is a project which I have to do for school, and pre-assembled modules just wouldn't be enough... :O