"Upload a file" stopped working

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
@jrap

Everything was working just fine until a few days ago.

In a reply, I would try to upload a picture, the directory where the picture was located would open fine, but no files could be seen. I can see folders, but no files. (The file types is correct.)

I can still upload files in "My Gallery".

Firefox, Win 7, no new software except maybe a windows update. Yes, I have rebooted my computer. Tried deactivating Shockwave.

Edit: Oops, I just noticed that this is not the area for help with technical problems. Sorry, won't happen again.

Edit again: Where does one get help with technical problems??

Last edited:

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
@Lestraveled
You're OK, Les. Technical issues with the forum itself can go here.
FWIW, upload is working for me - FF, Win7-64. Try typing something like *.jpg in the file name dialog to get it to display the files. Sometimes I have to do that.

Attachments

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I keep Adobe Flash on a tight leash because of this, and only activate it when I need it. It will cause symptoms very similar to what you are talking about.

Try disabling it and restarting your computer. It will ask if you come across a need for it.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Today, I found out that .bmp is not allowed.
Not a problem for me. I merely noticed a change which others might need to know about.

Vista, Firefox, Avast anti-virus. Had to disable the Avast attachment to Firefox because it kept getting into infinite loops.:(

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Today, I found out that .bmp is not allowed.
Not a problem for me. I merely noticed a change which others might need to know about.

Vista, Firefox, Avast anti-virus. Had to disable the Avast attachment to Firefox because it kept getting into infinite loops.:(
Any reason .gif are not allowed? The little animations are nice to show movement without making a video.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
There is a list of acceptable formats and their size limits, but I forgot how to find it. That's why you should direct your question towards a Moderator.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
FWIW around 300K image size more or less seems so be OK based on some thoughts by
@bertus . When I do my mod thing and resize images I start at 1080x720 pixels. Most images fit nicely on the page. I try to preserve the detail by zoom and crop. The goal is to not to crater users with slower connections. It's a judgement call but it doesn't take 2Mb to post a pencil sketch with 3 components on it nor 4Mb to post a blurry pic of a blue LED on a joule thief.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
There is a list of acceptable formats and their size limits, but I forgot how to find it. That's why you should direct your question towards a Moderator.
In this country, truck drivers are informed that the maximum height allowed to pass under a bridge is (usually), 4,10 meters. The sign, you can read it when you are just 20 meters before the bridge in question!

The allowed files type is told to you immediately before as well, as in here:

Para No 12.png

At least, you can back up; drivers not! ;)

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
When they first changed the site, (went to the orange side), I had to disable Adobe Shockwave in order to post a picture. That got fixed many months ago.
Odd, the new template didn't change any of the underlying XF code..

This is our official list of 'allowed' file types to upload. Any suggestions are welcome!
zip
txt
pdf
png
jpg
jpeg
jpe
gif
doc
hex
lbr
sch
sub
svg
asc
asy
bin
asm
lib

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

.bmp pictures are most times very large.
We want to try to avoid that, as not everybody has unlimited internet access.

Bertus

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The problem with xenforo is that you can only set ONE size for all extention types.
As far as I know it is set at 10 MB, this is mainly done for the PDF's that get uploaded.
We could set size limitation as Height X lenght.

Bertus

anhnha

Joined Apr 19, 2012
I've had the the same problem in uploading images for several days. It doesn't work for any image format and any size. I am using windows 7 with Firefox.