Upgrading brushed to brushless motors on a 12v ride-on

JohnnyConcrete

Joined Dec 28, 2020
I have recently purchased a 12v childrens audi r8 ride on for my son.

The issue which has arisen is the sheer lack of speed this toy has.
So.. I have been looking into replacing the 2 brushed 6000rpm motors with brushless motors.

I am aware that brushless motors require an esc so I am struggling on how this would work. The car doesn't run on a Lipo battery but 2 6v Lead Acid batteries. Would this still work a pair of brushless motors?

So from the batteries we have an rc switch controller and then this will run to the pedal control and lights, mp3 player etc and also allows the use of RC.. Last but not least it connects from the rc switch controller to the motors.. could I interrupt this connection to the esc's and then to the new brushless motors?

Also the Remote Control has 3 speed options so if I use these brushless motors via the esc's, will I still be able to use these speed options as I'd hate for the speed to be uncontrollable.

Please advise oh experienced ones!

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
First, it sounds like a good idea until you can't find an exact fit for the brushed motor replacement. The motor has to be in the same position in the plastic gear box or you'll shreds the teeth. If you do find the perfect motor, a speed limiting circuit from a brushed motor can't be used for a brushless.

JohnnyConcrete

Joined Dec 28, 2020
First, it sounds like a good idea until you can't find an exact fit for the brushed motor replacement. The motor has to be in the same position in the plastic gear box or you'll shreds the teeth. If you do find the perfect motor, a speed limiting circuit from a brushed motor can't be used for a brushless.
Ahh I get you..

See i was under the impression that if the rc switch controller reduced the amount of current then in turn the brushless motor would then have no choice but to slow down however I am clueless with esc's and brushless motors.

I think the size of the motor is an R380 and as for the teeth I would hope to take the old pinion gear off and hopefully squeeze it on the brushless if I could.

JohnnyConcrete

Joined Dec 28, 2020
I assume you are talking the RC variety?
Max.
2 x 6v R380 motors at 6000rpm
It has a parental control with 3 speed selection. Would like to keep that as I dont want it racing off and wishing I dodnt make the changes.
Maybe a new rc control would suffice where it has variable speed on the acceleration? I'm sure brushless motor speed can be controlled as the same as rc cars, boats etc are.