Up For Review: Build an Arduino-LabVIEW Analog Voltmeter

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
The only thing that caught my attention is that in some of the screencap graphics the text is very small and fuzzy, and not easily readable (article displayed full screen width on 1440 x 900 MacBook Air). Also, some typos which I assume will be fixed.

Otherwise, looks good.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Some minor details:
Next.Note:The TX
Needs some space.
The analog voltmeter VI can be obtained here: LINX_analog_ vi.
I guess the file will end up in a "Download Code" button?
It consists of a 10K-ohm potentiometer's wiper arm wired to the "A0" (analog pin 0) of the Arduino Uno, The other two remaining pins of the 10K-ohm potentiometer are wired to +5V and GND(ground) of the Arduino Uno.
Should the , (comma) be replaced with a . (period)?

The Arduino-Potentiometer Circuit.
Would the design be more "smooth" if R1 was moved a bit up, so the connection would go in a straight line to the microcontroller?

for an building
An or a? This confuse me sometimes. :confused:

The small voltmeter(product number #460) purchased from Adafruit provides a quick method of monitoring the varying voltage signals creatd by the slide dimmer control.
Is it missing a space between the voltmeter and (product number...? I see that in other places in the article, it is a space in front of the parenthesis.

I noticed also a 7-segment display on his protoboard and video, but it is not listed in the parts list. A minor detail.

I second the above comment on the images, and it is missing a link in the "Installing the LINX add-on package" paragraph. The sentence above the image:
The LINX add-on software package can be obtained from the following url website page: .
Good informative article!

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Some more minor details:

An or a? This confuse me sometimes. :confused:
It should be 'a'.

The small voltmeter(product number #460) purchased from Adafruit provides a quick method of monitoring the varying voltage signals creatd by the slide dimmer control.
Is it missing a space between the voltmeter and (product number...? I see that in other places in the article, it is a space in front of the parenthesis.
Also, 'creatd' is missing an 'e'.

Don Wilcher

Joined Jun 22, 2015
Sorry about the small grammar errors. Next time I slow down and read with a critical eye. Thanks for the review and comments. Also, the mini digital voltmeter (3.2-30V range) can be purchased from Adafruit (Product Number: #460).

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Hmmm... I think we're now mired in Deep Voltmeter Confusion, here!!

The "7-segment display" which nerdegutta noted in the photos and the video is actually the "small voltmeter" mentioned in the text of the article right above the first of the two photographs. As Don noted, it's a 3-digit digital panel meter from Adafruit (https://www.adafruit.com/product/460).

But that Adafruit DPM is not listed in the Parts List; instead there are two other items, neither of which appears anywhere in the project. Under "digital voltmeter" in the Parts List there is a MuRata DMR-20 digital panel meter from Digi-Key, and under "7-segment display" there is (from Adafruit, via Mouser) a 4-digit 7-segment bare display (NOT a voltmeter) with a serial I2C interface.

Obviously, neither of those two entries in the Parts List is correct. They should be deleted and replaced with a single entry pointing to the part actually used in the project, which is the 3-digit digital panel meter from Adafruit (https://www.adafruit.com/product/460) Don mentioned in the text.

maschinesmadchen

Joined Jun 15, 2015
Hmmm... I think we're now mired in Deep Voltmeter Confusion, here!!

The "7-segment display" which nerdegutta noted in the photos and the video is actually the "small voltmeter" mentioned in the text of the article right above the first of the two photographs. As Don noted, it's a 3-digit digital panel meter from Adafruit (https://www.adafruit.com/product/460).

But that Adafruit DPM is not listed in the Parts List; instead there are two other items, neither of which appears anywhere in the project. Under "digital voltmeter" in the Parts List there is a MuRata DMR-20 digital panel meter from Digi-Key, and under "7-segment display" there is (from Adafruit, via Mouser) a 4-digit 7-segment bare display (NOT a voltmeter) with a serial I2C interface.

Obviously, neither of those two entries in the Parts List is correct. They should be deleted and replaced with a single entry pointing to the part actually used in the project, which is the 3-digit digital panel meter from Adafruit (https://www.adafruit.com/product/460) Don mentioned in the text.
Yeah, my fault again. Basically what happens is that if an author doesn't list a part, I'll find one from Adafruit or Digikey or somewhere and put it in.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Yeah, my fault again. Basically what happens is that if an author doesn't list a part, I'll find one from Adafruit or Digikey or somewhere and put it in.
I think it would be better to let the author do that, or at least check with the review team on any substitutions you're thinking of making. Electronic parts and devices are not as interchangeable as you might think.