Unregulated, Isolated, Low-Parts Count?

johnyradio

Joined Oct 26, 2012
You are missing the point, I am trying to be helpful
Ok thx, I appreciate it.
I expect you are going to turn the circuit design into an actual physical module.??
Yes, and that module is a DC/DC isolator. It's a standalone functionality which could have various uses.

To suggest I am trying stop others from helping, is absolute nonsense.
Ok, my bad.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
Did some one bring this up? Have used at 12 to 15V but not 12 to 24V.
Not 120va ac out but 9 volts and add 4 diodes and filter cap.
There are two types. The first one uses RCs to set the switching speed. In the example 60hz but you need 60khz or higher.
The other type has no C and drives the transformer into saturation which causes the transistors to switch.
You will need 1 to 2A not 15A so use smaller transistors.
I find these to be finicky and very dependent on output load and very dependent on type of transformer.
1601090111630.png
1601090184818.png
1601090249112.png

johnyradio

Joined Oct 26, 2012
Did some one bring this up? Have used at 12 to 15V but ...
@ronsimpson I didn't understand your last post. The circuits appear to be AC-mains to DC, or DC to AC inverters.

My target application is isolated DC/DC. I believe all the options we've had in the thread so far use H bridges and transformers to achieve isolation.

Another power isolation method I've heard of involve switched capacitors, but I don't know if that's feasible with my requirement.

Last edited:

johnyradio

Joined Oct 26, 2012
Latest thoughts:

• Half-bridge gate-driver, using IRS2153D or similar, remains my top choice, for it's flexibility.
  • Might be able to use a dual mosfet chip, to reduce parts.
  • To reduce transformer height at 2A, parallel two 1A transformers.
    • Could a single 2A mosfet drive both 1A xfmrs?
    • If separate mosfet needed per xfmr, could a single gate-driver drive both mosfets?
  • i could precede this iso circuit with a V regulator (which would feed any number of this iso). That would keep the input of this iso at a fixed V, so we wouldn't have to accommodate wide Vin variation. If that helps.
  • While a half-wave rectifier is two fewer parts than a full wave rectifier, i think i could use a monolithic full wave rectifier IC. Eg this Diodes part? Then i won't need center-tap on the xfmr(s), and reduces parts count.

looking forward to feedback
thx