Unknown Tool Type for B&S Engine

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
I have a Generac Wheelhouse 5500 generator with a B&S 10HP engine. The carburator is held on with a threaded stud, with probably a 1/4-20 thread extending past the carb body to hold the air cleaner. The stud has a Torx like head for screwing into the block, so that means that I need a "reverse Torx" or a "negative Torx" to both remove and screw it tightly in place. Problem is, I have never seen a "reverse Torx" driver, so I have been using a pair of vice grips to remove and install. I don't really want to hog up the ends of the studs, so I would like to get the proper tool.

Does anyone know what this "reverse Torx" tool is called?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have some. They are labeled, "CR VAN E" and then a number from 8 to 10 and up. Probably from Harbor Freight.
Then there is the mystery bolt on the U-joint of a Ford Explorer. It was as simple as using a 12 point, 12 mm socket.

Bingo. SS as post #4 by LesJones.
As for post #2? Whooda thunk it? A T35 bolt reversed.:D
(Save those Ford seat belt bolts for a reverse T-50 socket.)
You could make a whole set of these tools in a bolt store by choosing grade 8 hardness and the correct nuts.:)

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
I have some. They are labeled, "CR VAN E" and then a number from 8 to 10 and up. Probably from Harbor Freight.
Then there is the mystery bolt on the U-joint of a Ford Explorer. It was as simple as using a 12 point, 12 mm socket.

Bingo. SS as post #4 by LesJones.
As for post #2? Whooda thunk it? A T35 bolt reversed.:D
(Save those Ford seat belt bolts for a reverse T-50 socket.)
You could make a whole set of these tools in a bolt store by choosing grade 8 hardness and the correct nuts.:)
Yeah... It turns out that they are called external torx, or E-Torx. I have to go down to Pepboys to pick up some Berryman Chem-Dip to thoroughly clean the carb, so I'll check to see if they sell the individual sockets. This generator was a curb grab - the last time the previous owner used it, he left gas in the tank and the valve on, so it would no longer start, so he tosses it. Being the opportunist that I am, I grabbed it and did some minor cleaning of the carb and drained the old gas and put new in. It starts just fine now, but it won't run without a lot of choke, indicating a clogged carb jet. An hour or two in the chem-dip should clear this. I just hope that the chem-dip is the same formulation that I used on my Holley carbs back in the early 70's. That stuff would really get things clean.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
So...you're an amateur?o_O
(No, "real mechanic" would buy one socket if the set is available.:D)
(I hope you brought your funny bone.;))
I've lost more tools than most people will ever have! I see the $10 sets that HF has. If I can't get a single for less than $2, then I will pick up a set.