Unknown electronics, components query.

byargeon1

Joined Apr 3, 2020
20200403_011203.jpg20200403_011520.jpg
I recently purchased a lot of new electrical parts. There are around 150 of these unmarked. They have a metal back that covers entire back side with 2 notches in the top of metal. They are to-220 I believe. Does anyone have a clue what they are or how I can test them to see what they are. Thank you for any and all help.

byargeon1

Joined Apr 3, 2020
Can anyone please help with the ID of any of these items. The red one I assume is some kind of led but why so many pins? I've searched everywhere and had no luck,even with the red display which has 13 pins. The red board has Sprague B typed on it. Thanks for any help.
20200403_014541.jpg20200403_014550.jpg20200403_013854.jpg20200403_013854.jpg20200403_014114.jpg20200403_013752.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

s14rs4

Joined Sep 15, 2016
The first image looks like it could be a miniature LED seven segment display, the type used in early TI calculators. Nine pins would be seven segments plus decimal point and a common. Using a diode test range on a multimeter you should be able to find the common, and see each segment light up. The common could be anode or cathode you would need to check polarity.

The fifth picture with the screw thread is probably a power diode, this can also be checked with a diode tester. It designed to be bolted to a heatsink. If you compare the dimensions to available devices you will get an idea of the current rating, but without a part number you can not tell its voltage rating.

byargeon1

Joined Apr 3, 2020
Thank you all for the answers. It's frustrating staring at parts that look interesting but have no clue what they are. Lol.

byargeon1

Joined Apr 3, 2020
The first image looks like it could be a miniature LED seven segment display, the type used in early TI calculators. Nine pins would be seven segments plus decimal point and a common. Using a diode test range on a multimeter you should be able to find the common, and see each segment light up. The common could be anode or cathode you would need to check polarity.

The fifth picture with the screw thread is probably a power diode, this can also be checked with a diode tester. It designed to be bolted to a heatsink. If you compare the dimensions to available devices you will get an idea of the current rating, but without a part number you can not tell its voltage rating.
Thank you.

byargeon1

Joined Apr 3, 2020

You were exactly right about the power diode. Searched for that and 1st pic was of what I have. Thank u very much.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
For the TO220 I would check what pin has continuity with the metalic tab. If a BJT, that would be the collector.

By no means expect that garbage to be first class material.

Don't waste your time nor your hard earned money.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
With T-220, it is most likely one of three main possibilities. NPN/PNP(possible Darlington) and easy to test with a meter. MOSFET which there are many online test circuit schematics for. V Regulator if failing the first 2 tests and once again a simple circuit to test. I know there are various TO-92 ICs but can't think of any in T-220. Quick and easy is the cheap chinesium tester https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

byargeon1

Joined Apr 3, 2020
For the TO220 I would check what pin has continuity with the metalic tab. If a BJT, that would be the collector.

By no means expect that garbage to be first class material.

Don't waste your time nor your hard earned money.
I can imagine a company not putting any info on a product is not a good sign of product quality. They should be ok with just some cheap easy projects though right? Thanks for your answer too.