Unknown Data Port -- Just looking to be pointed in a direction -- Any direction

mushroom_brew

Joined Feb 20, 2023
Anyone familiar with a type of data port/standard referred to as "Wide Bus" or "Wide data"? I've got an unlabeled USB to RS-232 type of device that has a port on it listed as that. Windows lists the USB device as a "FT230X Basic UART" when it's plugged in. The wide bus header has 4 pins, but only two actually appear to be used. No quiescent voltages are on any of the 4 pins. All I know about it is that it is used for transferring data, and I'd like to learn more about the standard.

Last edited:

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
The FT230 is a basic UART (serial transmit/receive) so its likely the port is either Tx & GND or Rx & GND or might be a vendor-specific differential 1/2 duplex bus. I suspect the 'wide bus' is some proprietry data transfer protocol over that serial link. Certainly AFAIK there is no standard 'official' protocol by that name/standard.

mushroom_brew

Joined Feb 20, 2023
Thanks, guys. I'm going to try to do some experimentation and see what I come up with. I know effectively nothing about this type of thing. Most of my experience is with vacuum tube circuits. Not particularly useful here, unfortunately. I know that this setup is capable of tx AND rx over the two leads, and that's what really got me confused. Every standard that I've looked at would require 3 leads at the very least, and searches for "Wide Bus" etc have come up empty. I'm going to see if I can pop the lid and have a closer look at what's going on under the hood. Compare it to that schematic and whatnot. Thanks again. I really appreciate it.