Universal Shift Register

iwanna4get

Joined Feb 13, 2013
Ok we have Three Homework to make.

To make applications of
1.) Ripple Counter
2.) Johnson Counter
3.) Universal Shift Register

So in order to make application of said experiments I have to study them so I did.

I understood Ripple Counter and Johnson Counter, but I don't understand Universal Shift Registers.

This is the circuit.

I understand the table and what I don't understand is ;

1.) What is the serial input for shift-right and serial input for shift- left is for?
2.) How does it affect the circuit?
3.) How come only there only seems to be 1 set of 4-bit input in the mux(where is the other selection of 4-bit input)?
4.) When it shifts to the left or right does it continously shift until all output is zero (example: input is 0101 ; Sequence : 0011 , 0110, 1100 , 1000, 0000) or does it loop (example: input is 0101 ; Sequence : 0011 , 0110, 1100 , 1001, ... and so on)
5.) How does it shift serial input?

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012

I understand the table and what I don't understand is ;

1.) What is the serial input for shift-right and serial input for shift- left is for?
2.) How does it affect the circuit?
3.) How come only there only seems to be 1 set of 4-bit input in the mux(where is the other selection of 4-bit input)?
4.) When it shifts to the left or right does it continously shift until all output is zero (example: input is 0101 ; Sequence : 0011 , 0110, 1100 , 1000, 0000) or does it loop (example: input is 0101 ; Sequence : 0011 , 0110, 1100 , 1001, ... and so on)
5.) How does it shift serial input?
1.)The serial input is so that you can shift data into the shift register. This is what makes it a universal shift register; it can shift in either direction, do parallel input & parallel output
2.)It allows serial data to be put into the registers
3.):confused: I don't know what you are trying to say here.

If you are asking why there is one set of 4-bit inputs, why would there be more? these inputs are a parallel load, allowing the shift register to be loaded with a 4-bit value which would, most likely, be shifted out of the register.
4. & 5.) You tell me. Is this not Homework Help? Go through the same sequence you suggested. make s1 = 1 and s0 = 0. put your values in and fill out a table representing the outputs. You must learn to trace the logic and determine the states of the device.

As a side note, you are asking about whether the shift register does a shift(does not wrap data back into itself) and rotating(wraps data back into itself).

iwanna4get

Joined Feb 13, 2013
1.)The serial input is so that you can shift data into the shift register. This is what makes it a universal shift register; it can shift in either direction, do parallel input & parallel output
2.)It allows serial data to be put into the registers
3.):confused: I don't know what you are trying to say here.

If you are asking why there is one set of 4-bit inputs, why would there be more? these inputs are a parallel load, allowing the shift register to be loaded with a 4-bit value which would, most likely, be shifted out of the register.
4. & 5.) You tell me. Is this not Homework Help? Go through the same sequence you suggested. make s1 = 1 and s0 = 0. put your values in and fill out a table representing the outputs. You must learn to trace the logic and determine the states of the device.

As a side note, you are asking about whether the shift register does a shift(does not wrap data back into itself) and rotating(wraps data back into itself).

What I meant is the 4x1 mux itself. with the number 0 1 2 3.

But I am a complete idiot -.- .

I mixed up the input and output ~ Gah

Thanks about for answering number 2 I thought it was connected to S1 and S0 :D

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
But I am a complete idiot -.- .
No. You are not a complete idiot. Even if you don't believe that, it's important to understand that you can grasp concepts others would faint simply thinking about:) Have a little more confidence!

Actually, I've never seen it done this way, so it took me a minute to understand its operation....