Unique speed sensor circuit needed

Ducati916SPS

Joined Jan 5, 2023
Hello all, I am a retired mechanical engineer and know very little about electronics which is why I'm here. I have a very specific need for a hall effect analogue circuit which will accept 12V DC battery voltage and output a 5V DC pulse when a south pole magnet passes the hall effect. My application is to retrofit a gear driven mechanical speedometer on my motorcycle to digital dash which according to their manufacturers speed sensor input is as I noted above. The package needs to be no more than 11mm wide and high and 30mm long. Can someone tell me what I components I need to buy and how to construct this circuit, I've been looking at a DRV5053 and a SS41F but like I said I know nothing on this type of electronics for my application, can someone help. Thanks to all of you.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
For a compact unit you could use one of the Honeywell SS400 series sensors.
Drop the power for the sensor down to 5v using a LM78L05 regulator to make everything 5vdc.
Some assembly required. But compact.
EDIT: I see you are already looking at that method!!

Ducati916SPS

Joined Jan 5, 2023
You guys are great, I thank you kindly for the replies and the schematic of the circuit however I have no idea where to purchase the components and, which they probably are, static sensitive components, not sure if this is a problem for a backyard DYIer. I guess I've bitten off more than I can chew for this project. If you have any other advice, please let me now. To answer current question, I have no idea what the circuit requires, I do know the compatible speed sensor from the unit manufacturer is a 3 wire, 12V input 0-5V output pulse as described in their information sheets, the circuit is obviously proprietary. You might ask why not use the manufactures device and the answer is I need to retrofit into an existing housing see attachment. I'll probably wear out my welcome with question. I would consider purchasing a circuit from someone who would construct it for me.

Attachments

Ducati916SPS

Joined Jan 5, 2023
I can help you with that if still interested.
Hello sghioto, I thank you for the offer, but I browsed the web and found two sites with all the components you identified. I hope I choose the correct wattage and design, I selected 1/4 watt metal film resistors and both Tantalum and metal capacitors, I didn't realize these parts are so inexpensive. When I get ready to assemble should I use some sort of PCB with the solder type thru holes? or would a free standing set up work. I can solder pretty well from my years in manufacturing. Thank you so very much again, the folks on this forum are terrific.

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
1/4 watt resistors are OK but would have chosen carbon film type and tantalum caps. I would suggest using perfboard to assemble the components. If you like I can fabricate a custom pc board.

Ducati916SPS

Joined Jan 5, 2023
1/4 watt resistors are OK but would have chosen carbon film type and tantalum caps. I would suggest using perfboard to assemble the components. If you like I can fabricate a custom pc board.
Hi sghioto, I hedged my bet and purchased carbon resistor but only the 100K, the other is metal but the caps are Tantalum. My application is quite small, when all components are assembled it need to slide into a .440 inch approx. hole as in my attached photo. So, the PCB would need to be 3/8 X 1 1/4 then I would pot the circuit with epoxy to fit my housing like in the photo. How would this work, I would need to pay you somehow, are you in the United States?