Unique speed sensor circuit needed

Ducati916SPS

Joined Jan 5, 2023
Conversation started.
Hi Steve, I hope you're doing well. I dont' know how to pick up at our last conversation so I fumbled around to get back here. I have a question, I wanted to see how the response of the circuit with my completed devsie and connected it to a 12V dash LED light. It responses, but it seems to have a delay and only illuminates at a much slower frequency than the 4 magnets passing would generate, it seems like there's a buffer or something, do you have any idea on this condition?
Peter

bradrs

Joined Jan 23, 2023
Most 0-5V hall sensors I've interfaced with on cars and motorcycles utilize transistor switch to ground, and a pullup resistor to the 5V or 12V supply. The ECU would then have a pullup on its input. The circuit shown utilizes a transistor to 5V, but doesn't have any pull down. If you add a pull down resistor of 10K or so on the output, that may fix your reading issue.

What brand digital dash? They may show in their instructions a little more detail about their circuit. in terms of internal pull ups or downs.

Ducati916SPS

Joined Jan 5, 2023
Most 0-5V hall sensors I've interfaced with on cars and motorcycles utilize transistor switch to ground, and a pullup resistor to the 5V or 12V supply. The ECU would then have a pullup on its input. The circuit shown utilizes a transistor to 5V, but doesn't have any pull down. If you add a pull down resistor of 10K or so on the output, that may fix your reading issue.

What brand digital dash? They may show in their instructions a little more detail about their circuit. in terms of internal pull ups or downs.
Hello bradrs thanks for jumping in on this issue. I believe we have resolved the issue installing a A3144F hall sensor, I was able to read what I believe was accurate reading on my Fluke meter frequency setting. If there is any improvement that can be made, I'll let sghioto help with that he's been a terrific help on this project of mine. The digital dash I hope to install is an AiM MSX Strada 1.2/1.3 model. When setting up the interface with provided software you can select an input device which the wire connections are identified with voltage, GRD and output but no pulldown resistor to select, but interesting thought, other device connections such as temperature thermistor you can select a resistor in the software.