Understanding the MC-60 treadmill motor controller schematic

mpweir

Joined May 11, 2018
Thanks much for the schematic and functional description Mpwier. This is quite a thread ... I am in awe.

Can anyone let me know what MOV and high voltage cap are used on the AC-input power conditioning section of the MC-60 ? The ones of interest are V101 and CX101 on Mpwier's schematic ( MOV1 and C16 on my MC-60 ).
<MPW snip>
I used a MOV suitable for the AC line voltage (130 VRMS for some margin above the nominal 120), and 10mm diameter to match the fragments of the old one (the diameter maps to power dissipation capability). There are many manufacturers of these, mine was a MCV201K10DS made by Multicomp Pro and sold by Newark. Similar or somewhat higher voltage ratings would be fine, and larger size would also be acceptable as long as it fits the space and holes.
The text on the capacitor on mine has been somewhat damaged by the blast of the exploding MOV, but I can see the emblems of numerous approval organizations and the digits 102. Accordingly, I would pick an X1 or X2 (signifying approved for use when connected across the line) safety rated capacitor of 250 VAC rating, 1000 pF value. The Murata DE2E3SA102MN3AT02F at Digikey would probably be suitable.
In all cases you should look at the specifications for the parts you select and confirm their suitability.
Mike Weir

nickdlee

Joined Dec 9, 2020
I used a MOV suitable for the AC line voltage (130 VRMS for some margin above the nominal 120), and 10mm diameter to match the fragments of the old one (the diameter maps to power dissipation capability). There are many manufacturers of these, mine was a MCV201K10DS made by Multicomp Pro and sold by Newark. Similar or somewhat higher voltage ratings would be fine, and larger size would also be acceptable as long as it fits the space and holes.
The text on the capacitor on mine has been somewhat damaged by the blast of the exploding MOV, but I can see the emblems of numerous approval organizations and the digits 102. Accordingly, I would pick an X1 or X2 (signifying approved for use when connected across the line) safety rated capacitor of 250 VAC rating, 1000 pF value. The Murata at Digikey would probably be suitable.
In all cases you should look at the specifications for the parts you select and confirm their suitability.
Mike Weir
Perfect Mike. I'll run with those and post back how it works out.

You are miles ahead of me in understanding these controllers. I suppose the 'simplicity' of power conditioning doesn't make it any less important though. I appreciate your input ... it gives me a LOT more confidence.

FWIW, the only thing I could determine from the withered husk of the MOV in mine was it having been a 7 mm. 10 mm will fit just fine, and LOL ... clearly mine needed either more MOV capacity or less lightning.

Your recommendation on safety cap looks good too. I was coming to the same conclusion on capacity and voltage.