Understanding Remote Control ESC functionality

SouthEastRay

Joined Nov 29, 2022
It seems I have a spare Remote ESC to play with now.

SmallRemoteESC.png

Naturally, there is no manual, as the manufacturers don't want to sell more than they need to.

My interest is
1) What kind of electric motors this can control. Will it run Brushless DC motors, for example ?
2) What are the four wires for, and how would you wire them ?
3) What are the two terminals for, and how would they be connected ?

Any insights would be appreciated. TIA

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
That is not an ESC, it is just a remote controlled switch with some logic.

The device provides 24V to a motor, and can reverse the polarity. So whatever motor you choose much be reversible by a polarity reversal.

The four wires are to control UP, DOWN, and STOP functions directly, with switches on the wall. This device is designed for a winch control or something similar.

The two terminals—limit switch inputs—will stop the motor when the door/whatever reaches the end of run limit (fully up, or fully down). There is one function, STOP, but it doesn’t care which direction it is going at the time, you can wire two limit switches in parallel.

So basically, you have a device that provide 0V or 24V, and can reverse the polarity. It has both wireless and wired control. It has a limit switch input that will stop the motor when the switch closes but permit reverse operation until the other switch closes.

There is no safety device to sense a condition where the motor is trying to do something it can’t.

SouthEastRay

Joined Nov 29, 2022
Thanks so much Ya'akov

That is very helpful.
You didn't say specifically, but if sounds like it wouldn't work for brushless electric motors, that require an ESC normally.

I might have done the wrong things again, because I ordered this in its place.
1669888680043.png

When I saw it had PWM adjustable, I thought it would be able to control a brushless motors.
But I see now that has a Linear Power output, I wonder if it will.

Have you had any experience with getting an ESC that is able to control and maintain a set speed on a Brushless motor ?

pyroartist

Joined Oct 9, 2015
The specs on your new motor speed control show "Speed Regulation Type: Regulating current". This is simple increased current to make a DC motor go faster. It will not work with a brushless motor. For brushless motor speed control you need to provide electronic commutation which steps the magnetic field around the coils in a circular way. Often these are 3 phase systems.

SouthEastRay

Joined Nov 29, 2022
Ah, many thanks Pyroartist. That was a detail that I did not understand.

Its not wonder that the seller didn't reply to me when I asked him directly. I had hoped that the digital readout was going to show rpm, but of course its not.

I don't know if you have come across any suitable controllers that would enable a steady speed setting, but at a minimum I can disable the spring on the throttle control and build some handy mechanism for adjusting it easily.

Thanks again for your advice.

pyroartist

Joined Oct 9, 2015

SouthEastRay

Joined Nov 29, 2022
I understand. I have already bought the motor in this case. It comes with a motorcycle type control, that I was referring to as regards modifications.
I presume that the Throttle is just a wound potentiometer ? I had wondered if I could just hook it up to a secondary circuit to provide machine control of the motor.

BIG EDIT: Wow. Just reread the specs, and it says "BRUSHED DC Motor"!!!
That means that the "Speed Controller" isn't Digital, it must be Analogue.
I assumed it was an ESC.

I suppose most brushless motors are way less powerful than 250w, now that I think about it.

EBikeConversion.png

ControllerSpecs.pngI had assumed anything with a multi wire output was an ESC, but as you point out, Brushless motors have three wires, and this only has two wires to the motor, although it has many other wires.

Actually, this might make things easier for me.

Lots to learn for us beginners :)

pyroartist

Joined Oct 9, 2015
Looks like you have everything you need now. The 250 Watt motor will draw about 10.4 Amps using a 24 VDC input power so your newer control will work. I don't see a rated power or current on your original controller but that might work as well if it can handle 10 Amps. To reverse the motor simply switch the polarity coming out of the controller.