Understanding how Tesla Coil/Slayer Excitor works

davidcoll

Joined Apr 30, 2018
Hello,
i read online how slayer excitor works but still there is few things i dont understand.
i know that if we want to amplify our system we need to supply the same resonance frequency the system has.
the issue is that i cant understand how the driver circuit does it. i upload a 555 timer slayer excitor circuit that i found in this web address http://opengears.blogspot.com/2011/08/solid-state-tesla-coil-with-555-timer.html
i know that the 555 generate a square wave signal with 40% duty cycle to the base of the transistor but from this point i dont understand how the whole device is work.
Thanks for helping.

Attachments

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Your circuit is producing an AC waveform (chopped dc) , which makes the transformer step up the voltage applied, by the turns ratio. The resulting Larger voltage is produced at the transformer secondary side, with reduced current .

By altering the duty cycle, will alter the pulse size and shape at the output.

Ideally the transistor should have a back emf protection diode across the transformer Primary side.

davidcoll

Joined Apr 30, 2018
Thank you for the comment!
if i be more accurate, my question is what exactly the high and low duty cycle do to the output of this device and why? if i change them what going to happend to the second coil?
Thanks.