ultrasonic measuring professional

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Do you have a dog? I bet dog could find it. Put a dog on the property and watch him closely for a week or so. Focus on any areas he avoids.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I don’t think ultrasound is your problem. But you do. And you will not consider another solution until you are convinced.

I understand. I am the same way. Your going to need a little money. Or a electronic tech friend.

You will need 1 battery powered oscilloscope. And learn how to measure frequency with it.( to be able to discern ultra from sonic)

You might need to build a high pass filter. And an assortment of cheap microphones and possibly on ultra sonic transducer.

Depending on the strength and frequency of offending signal, a scope and microphone might be all you need.

I said might. If nothing is seen with microphones, then a transducer, and possibly an amp.

If it is the ultrasonics that is causing the problems, You should not need an amp.

There are no profession ultrasonic hunters that I know of. Maybe a ghostbuster.

It will be custom work. And you may not find anything. Be ready for that.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
The sole application I've experienced personally is ultrasound used to test watertightness of hatch covers in vessels.

The emitter is placed down there inside the hold with hatch covers closed, battened down and secured. Outside, the receiver is moved along the (gasket fitted) joints to detect US leakages. What is done with fridges but in a quite bigger scale.

I wonder if you could start in a some different way by discarding possible causes no matter how fancy they could look.

jerrydon

Joined Dec 2, 2015
I've tried a lot of things, and done a lot of searching the house and property over the past year w/o the slightest indication of anything amiss. The only reason I am "set" on ultrasound as the cause (as I've stated bf) is bcz of the bat equipment being set off and up until then, I was searching aimlessly. Although I'm on top of a small mountain, cell towers haven't made their way here yet. In fact, I can't get a cell signal unless I drive down the road. There has been no new construction of anything but houses, and since I'm square in the middle of the 40 acres, there's nothing going on close. Nothing major has changed from when we had no health issues, to having the health issues. We've all but emptied our house and refurnished it and our closets and electronics. Add to the former medical list visits to an allergist, which only turned up a mild reaction to ragweed. There were probably other doctors and tests performed, but I can't remember them all.

I am fully willing (and grateful for the input) to entertain and investigate ANY avenue that is suggested, so long as I haven't already beaten it to death myself.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
@jerrydon

A whole bunch of questions for you...

Has this been a problem with your wife as long as you've lived in the house?

What age did your daughter start having the problem (if not as soon as you moved into the house).

Do you hunt? What?

Do you do your own home remodeling?

What type of projects were done near the time the issues started (if it started after you moved in). Even if done by a professional or by you.

What rare/unusual hobbies or collectibles do you, your wife or daughter have?

What pets do you have?

What time of year are the symptoms most likely to occur?

What kind of fuel heats your home?

What kind of floor coverings are in your home?
- polymer-laminated wood product
- natural wood laminate on wood product
- linoleum
- carpet
- ceramic tile
- exposed concrete

- Do you or your wife work from home? Do you store any supplies or devices in your home for that job?

- are there any big electricity-generating equipment or substations within a quarter mile of your home (solar, wind turbines, coal, nuclear....)

- how close do you live to the Hudson River?

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
You are putting a lot of faith in that bat detector. We don’t know the quality. We don’t know what it will pick up.

When it went off, were there any structurally internal power or communication wiring close by?

The bat detector should only pick up air pressure changes. However, the detector tunes electrically to a band of these frequencies.

So the bat detector is a very low frequency rf receiver too. We still use these long waves. These long waves love long power and communication(phone,cable) lines.

So what set it off?

Let’s confirm your bat detector assumption, before we consider your health/ultrasonic assumption.

Do you have bats? Do you have unknown insect infestations? Security alarms?

Can you get bat detector and repeat measurement?

Can you get a schematic of bat detector?

jerrydon

Joined Dec 2, 2015
Since my cheap little bat detector probably won't arrive until next week, I'm going to try to find someone who has one I can borrow.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Those were the first commercial frequencies used. Turbine driven alternators. We use them now for navigation, timekeeping and other uses.

You can find the transmitters locations thru-out the world on google.

Sometimes you can find very old shortwave tube receivers that go pretty low. Lot's of noise.