Two way automatic switch

Ziesh

Joined Feb 3, 2015
hi, i have to run a small sucker pump to empty an underground tank of water and i want to start pump when tank is full and stop when tank is near to empty.
anyone please help me about it. so that i can make it possible.
thanks.

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
Install two float switches in the underground tank.
Install one of them so its switch changes state when the tank is at the empty level.
Install the other so that its switch changes state when the tank is at the full level.
You can then use the two switches to turn on and off the pump at the appropriate water level.

Magic!

Ziesh

Joined Feb 3, 2015
Install two float switches in the underground tank.
Install one of them so its switch changes state when the tank is at the empty level.
Install the other so that its switch changes state when the tank is at the full level.
You can then use the two switches to turn on and off the pump at the appropriate water level.

Magic!
thanks for suggestion but i forget to mention that its not h2o. it includes the dirty water of a house i.e washroom,kitchen etc of a basement.
what about a thing like this if i put two wires of pump in the tank at full level pump will start but at same time it will stop when water level is slightly lower than that wires.
i want some easy and cheap solution for this. tell me if such idea can work .
there may be a chance of corrosion.
thanks.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Do you mean use the conduction that may be present in the Grey Water?
Not a very good idea.
A better idea would be as wmodavis suggested, if you have access and can lower a 1/2" pvc pipe with a closed off end into the well and situate two reed switches in the pipe at the required level, and use a float ring around this pipe with a magnet embedded, use each reed switch to turn a couple off relays on off, for the pump.
Max.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
How deep is the tank? If this is a typical basement sump there are plenty of simple sump pump solutions available from home improvement stores. Most make for a simple economic solution. Not knowing your location it makes it difficult to offer a good solution. You have dirty water and no solids but the water can contain a wide range of chemicals. That pretty much rules out probes which rely on conductivity and tend to corrode. There are float switch arrangements for sumps that are plastic and impervious to what you find in a typical basement sump.

Ron

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
thanks for suggestion but i forget to mention that its not h2o.
OK. Well how do you expect a meaningful answer on how to solve a technical problem when you leave out pertinent facts or change them in each post?

We are not mind readers. At least I'm not.

Interesting also that you say you 'forgot to mention it's not H2o' but in fact you did say "an underground tank of water ". I thought H2O is water.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Sounds like typical Gray Water that does not usually go into the septic tank because of increasing the pump out times.
This often consists of washing machine, bath water, and other high volume water uses other than human waste etc.
Max.

Ziesh

Joined Feb 3, 2015
How deep is the tank? If this is a typical basement sump there are plenty of simple sump pump solutions available from home improvement stores. Most make for a simple economic solution. Not knowing your location it makes it difficult to offer a good solution. You have dirty water and no solids but the water can contain a wide range of chemicals. That pretty much rules out probes which rely on conductivity and tend to corrode. There are float switch arrangements for sumps that are plastic and impervious to what you find in a typical basement sump.

Ron
I'm using a 1/2hp pump with 1"pvc ,for 4feet tank depth to empty it from gray water and dark water.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I'm using a 1/2hp pump with 1"pvc ,for 4feet tank depth to empty it from gray water and dark water.
I would consider one of the float type switches mentioned. Mount it with a clamp about 2' up from the bottom with just under 2' cable out and it will have a little under 4' of travel.

Ron

Ziesh

Joined Feb 3, 2015
Do you mean use the conduction that may be present in the Grey Water?
Not a very good idea.
if you have access and can lower a 1/2" pvc pipe with a closed off end into the well and situate two reed switches in the pipe at the required level, and use a float ring around this pipe with a magnet embedded, use each reed switch to turn a couple off relays on off, for the pump.
Max.
please explain me its installation.(reed switch)
thanks

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
A home made solution could be based on one of these
http://www.hamlin.com/specSheets/59630.pdf
http://cherryswitches.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/7/2012/07/MP2017_EN.pdf
http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/MDSR-7-10-20/HE500-ND/199534
Using 1/2" PVC with a cap on the bottom so water does not enter, the reed switches would be set in the pipe at the sensing heights and the contacts be used to operate a low voltage relay that switches the pump.
A circular float around the pipe would carry the magnet.
Max.

Ziesh

Joined Feb 3, 2015
A home made solution could be based on one of these
http://www.hamlin.com/specSheets/59630.pdf
http://cherryswitches.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/7/2012/07/MP2017_EN.pdf
http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/MDSR-7-10-20/HE500-ND/199534
Using 1/2" PVC with a cap on the bottom so water does not enter, the reed switches would be set in the pipe at the sensing heights and the contacts be used to operate a low voltage relay that switches the pump.
A circular float around the pipe would carry the magnet.
Max.
thanks a lot.
do me a favour , tell me about the type of relay and its connections. upload a pic if available.
thanks.