Two truths and a lie - thread

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
We had fun with this at an impromptu happy-hour last night with people I spoke to dozens of times on the phone but never met face-to-face.

Here are the rules (modified for a forum).

- Members wishing to post about themselves: Check if there are any active (less than 24-hours-old) descriptions of a member. If not, create a post describing three things about yourself. two true and one lie. The more believable/interesting the items are the better (or, the more outlandish all three might be the better). If there is a recent post by someone, become a commenter until the next day. Members can disclose which is a lie or which is true at any time. No minimum waiting time, no maximum waiting time. They can disclose in 10 minutes or never (I think a few hours is about right). Feel free to delete your original post(s) any time.

- Commenters/Guessers: All members can comment/guess which is a lie or discuss the true statements for 24 hours after a description is posted. Don't be afraid to let this off-topic conversation run off topic. Don't use the QUOTE button or usernames. If a member wants to delete the description of himself, there should be opportunity to make a clean delete without worrying about quoted snips. (I hope an Mod or two can help us keep this clean if needed).

If nobody else goes in the next few hours, I will start.

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
I've never cheated on a test.

I drive a big ass car.

I've made more than 1000 song ideas that are at least 1 minute long.

Am I doing this right...

But to guess Gophers lie I would say its a tie between the 7 Nobel winners and the apple job offer...And I could still be wrong ;)

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
1) I've had dinner with 7 Nobel prize winners

2) I've never taken a calculus class

3) I turned down a job offer from Apple
--Edited for ease of reference and anonymity--

Please note that, as per request, the username is redacted in the the above quoted text:)

Well, clearly, assertion #2 is false inasmuch as all 'technical folk' will have had basic mathematics instruction...?

That said #3 and especially #1 are impressive claims:cool:

Best regards
HP:)

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
1) I've never cheated on a test.

2) I drive a big ass car.

3) I've made more than 1000 song ideas that are at least 1 minute long.

I'm going with #2 as the falsehood inasmuch as large automobiles seem inconsistent with your stated locale?

Best regards

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013

I'm going with #2 as the falsehood inasmuch as large automobiles seem inconsistent with your stated locale?

Best regards
Well not so much because there are plenty of large vehicles here but maybe/most likely it was the way I worded the statement that gave it away.

"Big ass car" Who says that ;)

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Hypatia it's your turn to leave us baffled :)
As I read the OP, we're supposed to await previous poster's disclosure of their false statements (or 24 hours - whichever comes first) prior to posting new 'posers' --- Inasmuch as the 'disclosure statement' for post #3 is pending -- it seems I'm 'saved' by a technicality (for the nonce);););):D

Best regards

bushrat

Joined Nov 29, 2014
  • While in Iraq (2003), been fried with 9.6 GHz radiation from radar for 2 weeks and didn't know
  • Enjoy hot and moderately humid weather.
  • Proved professor wrong that it is possible to solder by hand a 36 ga wire to QFP component
  • (extra) Broke wrist and didn't know it for 6 weeks.

1) While in Iraq (2003), been fried with 9.6 GHz radiation from radar for 2 weeks and didn't know
2) Enjoy hot and moderately humid weather.
3) Proved professor wrong that it is possible to solder by hand a 36 ga wire to QFP component
4) (extra) Broke wrist and didn't know it for 6 weeks.

I'm going with statement #2 (as the falsehood) inasmuch as its 'form' varies from the others (To wit: #2 is a statement of preference whereas the others are accounts of personal experience)... -- How'd I do?:D

Best regards

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I've had dinner with 7 Nobel prize winners

I've never taken a calculus class

I turned down a job offer from Apple
I've had dinner with 7 Nobel Prize winners in chemistry (not all at the same time and four of the dinners occurred before the professors won the prize - nonetheless, the sentance is still true.

My undergraduate degree is biology and, therefore, no calculus courses were required. The calculus that I do know came from a summer of self-study to pass the qualifying exams for grad school (Chemistry). By the way, there is no need for calculus on the General GRE or the Chemistry-GRE test and almost none on the American Chemical Society Standardized Subject Tests. Getting though Group Theory and Quantum Mechanics were a challenge but my wife was a good tutor.

I have been to 1 Infinite Loop in Cupertino, CA for design support on new materials (still used in some Apple products) but I never applied for a job there (nor been offered a position).

Thanks for guessing @Hypatia's Protege

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
1) Drank a beer while flying in a military helicopter while on duty near Oman in the Arabian Sea.

2) Reported a UFO caused receiver station blackout while stationed in Key West.

3) Like Pabst Blue Ribbon beer.

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
1)If I understand this correctly you were not the one that was operating the helicopter so that could be true.(if you smuggled the beer with you on board there is)

2) Was that after drinking a couple more of them beers?;)

3)Since I've never tasted that brand of beer I can't be sure if it's top notch or piss so...?

It's a hard one. :cool:

bushrat

Joined Nov 29, 2014

I'm going with statement #2 (as the falsehood) inasmuch as its 'form' varies from the others (To wit: #2 is a statement of preference whereas the others are accounts of personal experience)... -- How'd I do?:D

Best regards
You got it..
  • While in Iraq, AN/TPN-18A had broken wave guide, and signal strength was getting lower everyday. Upon troubleshooting, we found that the wave guide was severely leaking.
  • I live in SLC, I hate humidity.
  • Soldering was done under microscope in front of him, and professor was impressed.
  • Military doctors told me I strained some muscles, kept giving me Ibuprofen 600mg, untill I finally went to ER and had X-ray done.