TV Remote HOW-TO???

capitafun

Joined Aug 15, 2004
Hey everyone. I'm looking to build a custom remote control for a TV. Anyone have any leads of how to?

Thanks in advance.

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
hi

do you intend to just turn on the power of the TV or do you want to build a remote control just like what goes with a TV set. if like a regular remote for a TV, then it would be cheaper to buy a universal remote than having to build one.

i emailed you about the circuit diagram of a remote but then i remembered that i have to buy that schem the hard way. sorry about that, pls. disregard that email. :( :eek:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

That could be an expensive project. If it's to be a universal custom remote, try buying one and doing some reverse engineering. Since universals are readily available, why reinvent the wheel?

Starting from scratch, you are looking at several thousands of dollars expense for the hardware and software to program a microcontroller. Tv remotes use IR LED's to transmit pulses to the receiver in the set. You can likely find the series for most current sets posted, but it's way too complex a set of different codes for anything but a microcontroller to be able to handle.

For a single set, you might be able to do the codes with discreet logic, but it may not be small enough to fit into a remote box.

If you want to work both ends, you can go back to RF or even ultrasound for a remote. Then you'll need to make the receiver and reprogram the microcontroller in the tv to accept the new inputs. There's easier ways to grow old.

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
Some of the PICAXE series BASIC micro's have a Remote function where certain remote codes can be received via a 3 terminal IR receiver or be sent to an IR LED. The "M" and "X" series ring a bell for that function. Check the PICAXE web site, there may be more info on those functions there.

yong

Joined Feb 23, 2008
Hey everyone. I'm looking to build a custom remote control for a TV. Anyone have any leads of how to?

Thanks in advance.
Hi would you mind sharing the circuit with me..I need that as well to understand the circury in order to do the neccessary modifications to suit my implementation.