Turn on LED by sensing current?

MTT727

Joined Mar 7, 2017
Screenshot 2017-03-11 17.25.03.jpg
The attached schematic is the power supply portion of a larger project. The active component is a DC-DC converter that puts out +5 and -5v DC and a ground reference (COM). These voltages are tapped at the indicated +5V and -5V points to run the rest of the project. The +5v and COM outputs of the converter are also connected to a USB cable that can plug into and power an external device drawing 100mA through the V+ and V- termination points on the far right of the schematic. When the external device is not connected, there is no current flowing between these two termination points.

I would like to figure out a way to turn on an LED when current is flowing to the external device (i.e., between the V+ and V- termination points) but I cannot put the LED in series with the load because I need the full 5 volts (or close to it) to power the external device, and, of course, an LED can't take 100mA through it. Is there some kind of active device that could be put in series with the load and not drop the voltage (much) but would produce a signal when current is flowing through it? Or some other way to accomplish the goal?

Thanks,
Mac

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
There are lots of players in this game, TI, Linear, Maxim, ST, Zetex and more, all make dedicated current sense amps. Pretty cool things but since they are new they only come in SMD packages. (Since it's 2017 you should work out ways to use them in any build.)

TI has one, INA301, with a built comparator. Only spec'd for 3mA drive which is a little lite to drive as LED but OK to drive a transistor to buffer a LED.
INA301.jpg

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Design 1017 a LED lights on current.PNG Design 1017 b LED lights on current.PNG

For others who may read this thread in the future ...
Two other options. Specifics of both designs will depend on your circuit but design needs are specified.

PeteHL

Joined Dec 17, 2014
You can connect two rectifier diodes in series (such as 1N4001) anode to cathode, and then a red high-intensity LED from end to end of the series-connected diodes. This would divert the 100 mA mostly through the rectifier diodes, but you lose a drop of voltage of about 1.5V by inserting this sensor assembly in the circuit.

This technique comes from Dave Johnson (discovercircuits.com) applied to a sensor for current from 120 VAC. If interested, the thread starter might search "Lamp current Indicator" at his site.

Regards,
Pete

Last edited: