Trying to remove sleep function from white noise machine

anthony_mills33

Joined Feb 15, 2017
We had a baby about 2 months ago and bought her a white noise machine to help her sleep. It works great but the thing has a built in timer that only allows it to stay on for 20 minutes. After this the baby wakes up until we go in and turn the machine back on. I know most simple timers are built with a 555 or using a capacitor. I have attached a picture if you guys see anything that looks like the timer please let me know so I can short it and have the thing stay on until the batteries die! haha Thanks in advance.

From picture
black/red Power
two yellows are two the speaker
and the white/blue go to motor to vibrate her chair

Attachments

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
We had a baby about 2 months ago and bought her a white noise machine to help her sleep. It works great but the thing has a built in timer that only allows it to stay on for 20 minutes. After this the baby wakes up until we go in and turn the machine back on. I know most simple timers are built with a 555 or using a capacitor. I have attached a picture if you guys see anything that looks like the timer please let me know so I can short it and have the thing stay on until the batteries die! haha Thanks in advance.

From picture
black/red Power
Working on a schematic, I see two pushbutton switches, a slide switch and a variable resistor. What function do they have?
It looks like Q1 and Q2 are the white noise generator. That leaves Q3 to be the amplifier. I see two big capacitors. One close to red and black wires, might be power filter. The other might be the timing capacitor, but that means no output capacitor which I would expect to feed the speaker???

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Working on a schematic, I see two pushbutton switches, a slide switch and a variable resistor. What function do they have?
It looks like Q1 and Q2 are the white noise generator. That leaves Q3 to be the amplifier. I see two big capacitors. One close to red and black wires, might be power filter. The other might be the timing capacitor, but that means no output capacitor which I would expect to feed the speaker???
I wonder if there is an epoxy blob on the back of the PCB. The parts in the picture might, then, be the the audio amplifier.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I know this is outside of your request -- but infants have sleep patterns that are not all that compatible with their parents.

This is by design. Short, intense REM cycles are important for an infant's brain development.

From personal experience, in a few months this will resolve itself (unless there is some underlying medical issue).

Be patient and let nature take its course -- and IMHO, don't interfere. Things will get better.

Just remember: you've got it easy. Someday, your infant will be a teenager.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
If you press the "START" button (if there is a "START" button) before the device turns itself off will start a new cycle? Maybe the solution is to apply the start signal every few minutes, driven by a timer.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015

From picture
black/red Power
A brand and model number would help.