Trying to identify small elec part

erik_n

Joined Sep 13, 2016
Greetings folks.

I'm attempting to repair an item and need to replace this conductive springy-looking thing.
Tough to do without knowing what it's called. I just need the spring part, but I attached a picture of it mounted on the conductive post thingy that it slides onto. Sorry for all the non-technical jargon. Thanks!

DSC_0035.JPG DSC_0040.JPG

erik_n

Joined Sep 13, 2016
I'm basically just looking for the name of the part, but if you can point me in the direction of where I could find it, that would be unexpectedly helpful. Thanks again!

erik_n

Joined Sep 13, 2016
Well, because it's part of an assembly that carries a current coupled, and the fact that I can't just stick any spring in there, I guess I figured there's a more descriptive name for it.

If you look at the first picture, the black wire coming in from the back powers the spring, which makes contact with a conductive track on a rotor on a wheel hub. Is there a name for that whole assembly?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
What's wrong with the one you have got? Did it originally have a ball bearing on the end of it which has fallen out?

and the fact that I can't just stick any spring in there
You would have to replace it with a spring with the same dimensions and spring rate *how stiff it is).
I still see nothing which makes it other than just a spring.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It's called a, "spring". Look up the make and model of the thing it goes in. Get a parts drawing from the manufacturer. Order the thingy. You will know which one to order because the parts list will say, "spring".

erik_n

Joined Sep 13, 2016
What's wrong with the one you have got? Did it originally have a ball bearing on the end of it which has fallen out?
No, the one pictured is from the other side of the rotor. I need 2 to complete the circuit.

You would have to replace it with a spring with the same dimensions and spring rate *how stiff it is).
But it would also have to be made of something conductive, right? I imagine it's not something that would be stocked with the springs/connectors at a chain hardware store.

erik_n

Joined Sep 13, 2016
It's called a, "spring". Look up the make and model of the thing it goes in. Get a parts drawing from the manufacturer. Order the thingy. You will know which one to order because the parts list will say, "spring".
The manufacturer is the first place I tried. It's a dead end, Thanks though.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
But it would also have to be made of something conductive, right? I imagine it's not something that would be stocked with the springs/connectors at a chain hardware store.
The vast majority of springs are made of metal. Metals conduct electricity.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Any bog standard spring of similar dimensions (or cut down from a longer spring) will probably do. It doesn't look as though it's capable of carrying much current, so I doubt it matters exactly what it's made from (unless it's in a damp/wet environment requiring a corrosion-proof finish).

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Greetings folks.

I'm attempting to repair an item and need to replace this conductive springy-looking thing.
Tough to do without knowing what it's called. I just need the spring part, but I attached a picture of it mounted on the conductive post thingy that it slides onto. Sorry for all the non-technical jargon. Thanks!

View attachment 111923 View attachment 111924
Wow! Good camera! Where do you live? Is there a lot of manufacturing in your area. Is there a spring manufacturer or distributor? Take dimensions and wire thickness and force to move it down to them or the Internet.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
What makes it not just a spring?
Not much - it may have plating optimised for electrical conductivity rather than corrosion resistance.

If they were *THAT* worried about conductivity, they'd go for gold or silver plating - silver is easy to identify when it blackens with exposure to air.