Trying to hookup a linear actuator to photocell using a DPDT relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

charliebobgordon

Joined Aug 23, 2019
Hi there, I'm trying to follow this tutorial to create a circuit that will control a linear actuator by using a photocell via a DPDT relay which switches the polarity of the power to the linear actuator.

I'm struggling because I'm a complete beginner when it comes to electronics (and I mean COMPLETE beginner) but wanted to create this as automatic chicken coop door switches are quite expensive! I've wired it up the best I can with guidance but it's still not working unfortunately.

Things to note:
  • The DPDT relay I have is different from the one used in the tutorial, the one I have looks like this, so I've had to wire it up a bit differently.
  • The photocell I have is different from the one used in the tutorial, it has screw terminals which are 'LI', 'LO', and 'N'.
  • I'm using T tap connectors to split up my cables.
Here's a diagram of how I've got it connected at the moment:

Apologies for my terrible diagram but I hope it's easy to understand.

Thank you for any help at all!

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The connection scheme shown in post #3 will work, BUT there needs to be some means to switch off the actuator at each end of the motion.
Since we have no clue either about the actuator or that module with the relay anything else is a guess. Is the photocell a module or simply a component?
And this whole thread looks different from what I saw yesterday.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Hi there, I'm trying to follow this tutorial to create a circuit that will control a linear actuator by using a photocell via a DPDT relay which switches the polarity of the power to the linear actuator.
but wanted to create this as automatic chicken coop door switches are quite expensive!
Thank you for any help at all!
There have been a few 'Chicken Coop Door' circuits here in the past, it may be worth a search.
Max.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The question asked by Crutschow in post #6 still matters a lot. It would change the whole control scheme if the linear actuator does not include limit switching to stop it.
First issues need to come first. If the motion part does not operate as needed the rest does not matter.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
But the OP is asking about this specific Relay Module and how to connect a photocell. Does that not make the difference and justify it's own thread? Plus he may have already looked and found nothing like what he needs. JS
I did not say anything about not justifying his own thread, I was merely offering the advice of seeking either an answer in prior threads for at least information on the type of system he is apparently seeking to implement.
Max.

mmb_spaced

Joined May 18, 2023
This thread i going off topic and may be closed if it doesn't get back to the thread starter's problem.
i am sorry if i have diverted a bit from the thread starting problem, i was having issues with the site when i signed up and i had seen a post quite related but the site trashed it when i had to sign in so lost it and i replied to this poster as i had remembered he was part of that thread and spoke easy to understand answers and badly need help to get this sorted. i am still trying to find that thread but so far no luck, please do not close it, after all this site is supposed to help people yes? Yes, i am a newbie and do not know all rules yet i am very dyslexic just to add to the physical disabilities, and i find it very hard sometimes i would be very grateful if you could cut me some slack here. or point me in a direction that i can get the help thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.