Trying to convert 12v ac to 12v dc

Duanee30

Joined May 17, 2017
This is my first post on this site so I'm not sure if I'm in the right place. I have a computer speaker system that I'd like to install in my car. It's a nice system and I don't have the money to buy a completely new system for my car, plus I just want to know if it can be done. Ok, so here's what I'd like to do. The subwoofer is run off of an amp that's in the subwoofer enclosure. It normally just plugs into a 120v ac socket. When I open the enclosure up I see on the transformer that there's 120v ac going to the transformer and then 12.5v ac going out to the amp. Is there anyway I could convert the amp to run off of 12v dc so that it will work in my car? I've included a picture of the transformer in the enclosure.

Attachments

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
This is my first post on this site so I'm not sure if I'm in the right place. I have a computer speaker system that I'd like to install in my car. It's a nice system and I don't have the money to buy a completely new system for my car, plus I just want to know if it can be done. Ok, so here's what I'd like to do. The subwoofer is run off of an amp that's in the subwoofer enclosure. It normally just plugs into a 120v ac socket. When I open the enclosure up I see on the transformer that there's 120v ac going to the transformer and then 12.5v ac going out to the amp. Is there anyway I could convert the amp to run off of 12v dc so that it will work in my car? I've included a picture of the transformer in the enclosure.
From the picture it looks like there are 4 wires coming from the little board attached to the transformer in addition to the black input and the yellow output. I would expect only 2, but I can't tell for sure from the picture.

IMP002017

Joined Jan 28, 2017
Not sure about what the power to the amp is already. maybe take a better picture of the board on the Transformer and also A picture of the Input area on the amp would be helpful. I wonder if there is a conversion already being made?

More pictures would be helpful

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The big round blue thing is an aluminum electrolytic capacitor. If there is only one of them, that is a good sign.Assuming the woofer has an on/off switch, can you sketch its wiring?

ak