True humorous story: Electrical Outlet Installation

chesart1

Joined Jan 23, 2006
I attended a vocational high school and studied interior house wiring. During my third year, the instructor took the class out on jobs to modify and add circuits in residential homes.

On our first job, the instructor took me into a bedroom and instructed me to add an outlet to the wall common with the kitchen. He told me to drill a tiny hole in the wall, stick the snake [a stiff wire] into the hole and wriggle it around to determine if there was free space in the wall for an outlet. So I drilled a nice small hole and stuck the snake in. The lady in the kitchen heard lots of noise and wondered aloud what was happening. She opened her wooden kitchen cabinet and saw the snake flying around hitting all the pots and pans!

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I attended a vocational high school and studied interior house wiring. During my third year, the instructor took the class out on jobs to modify and add circuits in residential homes.
I'm surprised that you would be allowed to do that - in the UK the H&S bods would put a stop to such useful education!

On our first job, the instructor took me into a bedroom and instructed me to add an outlet to the wall common with the kitchen. He told me to drill a tiny hole in the wall, stick the snake [a stiff wire] into the hole and wriggle it around to determine if there was free space in the wall for an outlet. So I drilled a nice small hole and stuck the snake in. The lady in the kitchen heard lots of noise and wondered aloud what was happening. She opened her wooden kitchen cabinet and saw the snake flying around hitting all the pots and pans!
Lol! Having read that, maybe the H&S bod have a point! :D

It would have put-the-wind-up-you if she'd pulled the wire through!

Dave