troubleshooting electric fence charger

twd000

Joined Jul 19, 2022
I have an electric fence to keep animals out of my vegetable garden. It has failed after 3 years of use (1 year past warranty coverage)

It is battery-powered and recharged with a solar panel. I replaced the battery with a known-good one, and the behavior is the same. Flashing green light during the shock pulse, but no voltage coming from the output terminals.

Customer Support told me there are two parts that commonly fail: the PCB (607971) costs $50, and the transformer (607581) costs $30. I'd like to save the time and cost of replacing both, by isolating the failed component.

I can't find a wiring diagram, but this is the parts list:
https://www.premier1supplies.com/im...Solar-IntelliShock-energizer-instructions.pdf

The transformed is sealed, and I can't find any info online. Are there some simple tests I can do on the bench with a multimeter, to determine whether the transformer is good or failed?

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If it is a isolated type transformer, identify the primary and secondary.
place the output leads close together without touching, and 'flash' the primary with a 9v - 12v battery and see of you can obtain a spark from on the output.
If defective, You could also replace it with a waste spark version from an auto wrecker.
I built my own recently, there is also schematics out there on the web.
It may also pay to do a little reverse-engineering of the unit electronics, especially the device that fires the coil.

twd000

Joined Jul 19, 2022
If it is a isolated type transformer, identify the primary and secondary.
place the output leads close together without touching, and 'flash' the primary with a 9v - 12v battery and see of you can obtain a spark from on the output.
If defective, You could also replace it with a waste spark version from an auto wrecker.
I built my own recently, there is also schematics out there on the web.
It may also pay to do a little reverse-engineering of the unit electronics, especially the device that fires the coil.
so set the output-side leads close-but-not-touching, then briefly connect a 12V battery to the input side leads? and look for a spark?

assuming that test passes, where should I start with troubleshooting the PCB?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You should see a spark when the primary is opened suddenly.
The first thing I would look at is the power on the board and then the device/component that is driving the coil.
Also check the coil for 'Open'.

twd000

Joined Jul 19, 2022
should I also measure the resistance across each stage of the transformer, without a 12V load applied?

I read something about using the resistance measurements to find an in-kind replacement if the transformer is faulty.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Measure the primary and secondary resistance, the secondary should be very much higher value that the Pri.
If the transformer does prove defective I would sub in one of the types I mentioned, it would be close enough.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi twd.
For testing, I use an old vehicle spark plug, set the points to about 25 to 30thou.
Connect the transformer output terminals across the spark plug.
The metal body of the plug is one connection, the other the contact at the top of the plug.

Do as Max suggests with a quick touch of a 12V battery across the primary, you should get a spark at the plug.
OK.?
E

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Apart from testing the transformer, if you have a multimeter set it to AC volts and see if the primary is being pulsed when in the circuit to see if the circuit is working.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
If you can find a volunteer to help you, get them to hold a wire in each hand connected to the transformer secondary. Quickly touch a battery across the primary. If your helper utters a profanity, the transformer is good. :)