Triggering off a 5 mV signal to deliver TTL-level outputs

Strike-the-root

Joined Apr 10, 2019
On
https://www.pcb.com/products?m=482c05
footnote 1 says
"[1] With >= 1M ohm input impedance of readout device."

Not particularly clear what it means, but enough to sew the seeds of doubt in my mind.
It sort-of-implies that it should be driving a >1Meg input impedance, but maybe not.
If I had to design an interface without full knowledge of the "preamp". I'd choose a low-bias current op-amp.
I'm not even sure it is a preamp. What preamp would only have 5mV output?
On the other hand - it seems to have a 4mA output current to the sensor. Piezos don't need a bias current so what's that for? I've seen electrostatic transducers (Polaroid used to make them) which do need a bias current. Am I reading too much into this and seeing problems that don't exist?
Some of the experiments we're running use the transducers at well under 1% of their capabilities. The full-scale outputs would be on the order of 5V. Hence, the 5mV output.

Strike-the-root

Joined Apr 10, 2019
Below is the LTspice simulation of an example op amp/comparator circuit:

View attachment 224777
We had most of the parts on hand to build this but I had to order the LT1212--they should arrive from Digikey by the weekend.

BTW, what is the purpose of the 10k resistor at the output of the 393 between +5V and Out? I've seen it in the examples on the 393 datasheet before but I don't get what purpose it serves. Seems like the voltage at Out would be unaffected... (Typical ME trying to do EE stuff...)

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
What is the timing resolution you are trying to resolve (?) ? My thought is that the LM393 is a relatively slow device, both in responding to a small change at the input and also in the speed of the output stage, particularly when turning off to make a positive-going edge. Do you have a feel for how fast the output edge has to be to capture the timing accuracy you need? An alternative to the LM393 output comparator is a fast opamp with near rail-to-rail performance. The dual version of the part Wally used is the LT1211. 1/2 for the input amplifier and 1/2 for the output comparator looks good to me, and you get a faster rising edge with no pull up resistor.

ak

Last edited:

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
From the graph in post #8 would estimate the rise time at about 150us. well above the 1.3us response time of the LM393 but would add some hysteresis.
SG

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The dual version of the part Wally used is the LT1211. 1/2 for the input amplifier and 1/2 for the output comparator looks good to me, and you get a faster rising edge with no pull up resistor.
Not necessarily.
Op amps can take a long time to come out of saturation due to the charge-up of the compensation capacitor.

Strike-the-root

Joined Apr 10, 2019
What is the timing resolution you are trying to resolve (?) ? My thought is that the LM393 is a relatively slow device, both in responding to a small change at the input and also in the speed of the output stage, particularly when turning off to make a positive-going edge. Do you have a feel for how fast the output edge has to be to capture the timing accuracy you need? An alternative to the LM393 output comparator is a fast opamp with near rail-to-rail performance. The dual version of the part Wally used is the LT1211. 1/2 for the input amplifier and 1/2 for the output comparator looks good to me, and you get a faster rising edge with no pull up resistor.

ak
We're just using this to trigger a series of timers. I need to make 4 of the circuits that Crutschow suggested. As long as the outputs from each circuit have similar rise times to trigger the TTL inputs (within a few microseconds of each other), the slope of the rise won't affect the measurement we're trying to make.