Problem triggering a NE555 monostable clock with an input signal

old_owl

Joined May 3, 2009
The basic idea is that I want a monostable clock to be triggered when a certain input signal is high. I know no other way of doing this than to hook up the signal to power, however the clock never triggers doing this.

Right now, I have power hooked up to pin 8, a resistor connecting pins 8 and 7, a capacitor connected from pin 7 to ground, a wire connecting pin 7 and 6, a capacitor hooked up to pin 5 which is hooked to ground with pins 1 and 4 being tied to ground and power respectively.

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/stmicroelectronics/2182.pdf

I figure that there must be a correct way of doing this, but I have no idea what it might be.

old_owl

Joined May 3, 2009
The input signal is produced from a pretty large circuit. However, I do know that the input signal is acting exactly as it should be and I'm hooking it up to the power pin right now.

As for your second question, I'm not quite sure what you mean. My problem is that the output of the clock is low no matter what the input signal is. I've tried using both small and large resistors but it is to no avail.

I'm not sure if I've made it clear enough in the first post but I will try to explain here: I want the 555 timer to pulse when a certain signal is high. I've tried hooking this signal up to power but that does not pulse at all.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
The input signal is produced from a pretty large circuit. However, I do know that the input signal is acting exactly as it should be and I'm hooking it up to the power pin right now.

As for your second question, I'm not quite sure what you mean. My problem is that the output of the clock is low no matter what the input signal is. I've tried using both small and large resistors but it is to no avail.

I'm not sure if I've made it clear enough in the first post but I will try to explain here: I want the 555 timer to pulse when a certain signal is high. I've tried hooking this signal up to power but that does not pulse at all.
Do you mean you want it to oscillate when the input is high? You originally said it was a monostable. A monostable is also called a one shot. It produces one pulse of a fixed width (time) each time the input is pulsed.

old_owl

Joined May 3, 2009
1. Is the circuit in CDRIVE's post retriggerable?
2. If it is, would you mind drawing a more clear schematic (i.e. showing all pin connections)?
3. If it isn't retriggerable, what recourse do I have?

Thanks for your help everybody.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The base 555 monostable is not retriggerable. Is this what you need?

If so we could redraw a schematic, basically put a transistor across the capacitor on pin 7, so it would discharge when the base recieved a trigger signal.

The 555 is very open ended, you just need to define what you want precisely before you use it.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, but one of the concequences of retriggerable is if the input is held at a high the pulse is started, but not timing. It's what I mean by defining what you want. A simple cap on the input will eliminate this, but you have to define it.

Definition of retriggerable, the timer will start timing from scratch every time a new pulse is recieved. Side note, if the input is held high the timer doesn't start timing until it goes low, this can be designed out though.

old_owl

Joined May 3, 2009
OK, but one of the concequences of retriggerable is if the input is held at a high the pulse is started, but not timing. It's what I mean by defining what you want. A simple cap on the input will eliminate this, but you have to define it.
I'm not sure what you mean in the bolded sections. Thanks, by the way, for remaining patient.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
1. Is the circuit in CDRIVE's post retriggerable?
2. If it is, would you mind drawing a more clear schematic (i.e. showing all pin connections)?
3. If it isn't retriggerable, what recourse do I have?

Thanks for your help everybody.
Yes, it's retriggerable.
There's no reason to redraw the whole circuit because Bill posted a link in post 9 that will give you more than you need.

Nice job Bill!

EDIT: It's retriggerable after the RC timing components have completed their pulse cycle.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Part of the reason I went through definitions is retriggerable in the world of monostables has a different definition than the OP may have been thinking.

Forrest Mimms had a circuit that was a missing pulse detector. I need to look that sucker up sometime, it did something similar.