Triac equivalent (131-8D) in a coffee machine

sukhoi191

Joined May 8, 2020
I bought a damaged Lavazza coffee machine. After quick analysis I've found something in TO-92 case, which apparently exploded for unknown reason. It's literally in pieces, but I was able to find that the last letters describing the model were "8D" at the top and "30" at the bottom (see attachment). Fortunately, another part in the same case is mounted right next to the exploded one and is still intact. The full model of this part is "131-8D", last characters in footnote match as well. The closest element I was able to find is BT131-8D.

broken.jpggood.jpg

The problem is, I am unable to find this exact triac to buy anywhere. I have no experience with triacs, so I'm not sure which parameters should be considered during search for an equivalent and which can have some deviations from the original value.

As an example, Z0103NA looks widely available and basic parameters ("repetitive peak offstate voltage" and "RMS on-state current") are matching, but it has smaller "non-repetitive peak on" (16A vs 8A).

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find the schematic for this board in case we need it to decide, which equivalent would work. It has some identifiers on it, but none of them gives any results in Google:

IMG_20200508_212915.jpgIMG_20200508_212839.jpgIMG_20200508_212847.jpg

Considering all this, I have two questions:

1. Are there any general guidelines about triac parameters while looking for the equivalent? I was looking for the answer myself and that's how I got to this forum in the first place. The problem is that answers seem to consider cases from questions specifically.

2. What might've caused the triac to explode in the first place, besides a possible manufacturing defect? Do you think it would be reasonable to just replace the triac and see if it works, with taking some safety precautions in case of another explosion?

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Maybe you can draw the circuit around two components that you mentioned, and then our helpers could analyze the circuit what the components are and do some suggestion for the component to replace the damaged one.

sukhoi191

Joined May 8, 2020
Yes BT131- 600v will do.. Pinout is from left to right, Mt1, G, Mt2..
Thanks! I'll buy BT131-600 and see if it works :)

Maybe you can draw the circuit around two components that you mentioned, and then our helpers could analyze the circuit what the components are and do some suggestion for the component to replace the damaged one.
Thanks, I'll do it, if something goes wrong with Dodgydave's suggestion.

I'll let you guys know if BT131-600 works as a replacement.

Patoso

Joined Nov 28, 2023
Thanks! I'll buy BT131-600 and see if it works :)

Thanks, I'll do it, if something goes wrong with Dodgydave's suggestion.

I'll let you guys know if BT131-600 works as a replacement.
Hi sukhoi191,

I know it’s an old thread, but I do have exactly the same issue - same coffee machine apparently.

Did BT131-600 worked for you?